If you could work anywhere, where would it be?

akroeze

I'm still hearing good things from the other side of the fence about starflight but all well each has his opinion.

As far as being on the ground - well I'm quite content where I'm at I really don't have a burning desire to leave. Involved med director, good education, training, coworkers with balanced heads, new equipment, great protocols, and high true 911 volume, not B.S. crap and a long transport to use our skills, yeah, this is heaven for me.

Now if I were to move to the air I would have once said stat care of louisville, KY 'cause they were just all that and a bag of chips, however I sadly see that changing very quickly since the buyout. I already see a major change in care and good medics/nurses leaving in droves. That being said my next choice would be Vanderbilt Lifeflight - either ground or air they are just cool and have a right to think their all that. Good skills, they earn it ! Truthfully though, I don't see myself leaving where I'm at any time in the near future unless some things go very south.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say, I work for that 3-lettered company that gets such bad press 'round these forums, but most of the features you guys say make or break your dream jobs: we've got em. Progressive protocols, off-line med con, high 911 volume, a responsive EMS coordinator/control, etc. Sure, there is the frustration that comes with working for a national private ambulance service, but in general I think we've got it pretty good here. I make $22 an hour as a newish medic (18 months cleared now) which is very competitive, and I work alongside some truly excellent people. As far as an EMS job goes, it really aint' so bad here.

Hartford, CT.

I think that particular company you are discussing fiznat, it is dependent upon where you work, similar to rural metro or other large companies. I've heard people that work rural that love it that were based in other areas. Here they are a joke. The same holds true for the company you discussed as they do not have the 911 contract in the area. However, I understand in other areas people are quite content. I've not worked with them, so I can't speak for it, but overall in this area, I've not been impressed because they pull new medics/basics, throw them together and say good luck with poor medical oversight. As I stated though - this may be solely this area - I can't speak for other bases. It sounds as if you've got a good gig, so enjoy. Glad you are content where you're at ! That's what it's all about !

haha hey I didn't say anything about being content! I'm jumping ship just like everyone else, taking classes and moving up in the whorl'. I'm just saying, as far as an EMS job I'm not sure that anyplace else can offer much more than what we've got right here.

If they can, I'd like to see it. That's why I clicked on this thread.

Well when it comes to STARFlight, yes the county has taken control from EMS. However Us ground pounders, only know parts of the reason why and we just try to fill in the blanks ourselves. So here is what I heard, Starflight is going to be adding a 2nd Helicopter operatioal 24/7 that way they can do all the interfacility stuff they do as well as still be available for scene calls, which has been an issue over the last few years. If I ever had ambition to fly it would be with STARFlight, but that yearning is not there for me.

To answer the question of a dream job I think I am happy and content right where I am at. Austin Travis County EMS as we all know is a fairly progressive system though maybe not as "cutting edge" as it used to be. We have good protocols, granting us the ability to be thinking medics. All ambulances are ALS with BLS first responders from the FDs. 32 units on the street. Good Ambulances, Wheeled Coach Customs, however our maintenance is lacking. Induced Hypothermia protocol post arrest, good, not great, opporotunity for advancement, and dapertment provided CEU's. Basically we get re assigned off of one of our shifts for 48hrs out of the year to do M & M case review, ACLS, AMLS, PHTLS PALs, etc. also STEMI Review protocol review and just basic assessment and treatment modality review.

Some People may not think it is great but I got 23 possibly 24 years left and I am gonna ride it out, I love it here.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.