When did u realize that EMS would not be ur lifelong career?

BEorP

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don' know about too many others, but for me, when I did come to terms with it I was devastated. I was crushed. Even with the burn out I still loved the job. Some may argue that it was a blow to my ego, but I don't believe that was it at all. It's just that when you have worked for something for so long and so hard to get where you wanted to be, and it was something you loved, just giving it all up would be difficult for anybody.

Some people would try and convince you that they thought you still had what it takes to keep going. Their hearts are in the right place and are trying to be supportive, but it's like you have to explain to them what you are going through. I hated to say it but I just had to tell people that I just couldn't do it anymore. I would just be putting myself and others in danger. One of the most important pieces of advice I give is to know your limitations and to respect them.

Well, I've been an EMT-B for about a year now and working part-time in the field. Almost all EMS is fire based around here and I don't have any desire to be a firefighter - so that closes a lot of doors. Additionally, I realized I wanted to learn more and do more with medicine. I was about to apply to a paramedic program through the Cleveland Clinic EMS Academy when I had sort of an epiphany ... I could get my EMT-P and play with the lights and siren and pretend I knew something about medicine - or I could go learn about medicine.

So, I looked back over my college transcripts. (I only completed 2 years towards my bachelor's degree when I dropped out of school to join the dot.com boom - thinking I'd just finish it part-time down the road. *cough* Right.) This nice thing is, I got most of my general education classes out of the way - you know, all that time where you say, "Darn it, when will I get to the stuff I really want to learn about?" Anyways, received the letter today that I've been accepted to Cleveland State University as a transfer student. I'll likely drop back from working the 2-3 nights a week as an EMT-B, down to a shift or two a month after the 1st of the year - at least as long as the full time job is still here (but with us getting bought, that's not looking so good). I enjoy the part-time job and the people I work with, but long-term it's better for me to suck it up and focus on my studies if I really want to change careers.

I realized I didn't want to do this as a life long career about a year and a half ago. A few of my friends and I applied to R/M, thought it would be a great experience and we'd make boat loads of money. I was shocked to learn they were starting us off at $9.14/hr. Paramedics weren't far behind at $13.00/hr.

I realized then that in order to make any money in this business, I would have to:

1) Be in it for a very long time.

2) Move to a different locale.

3) Subject myself to all the hazards that go with the job. (weather, wackos, and weirdos)

I decided nursing school was right for me. More respect, better education, a controlled environment...Like Doczilla, I just didn't want to piddle away my life in some cramped supervisor's office wondering what the hell happened. I want to have something more to show for my education.

I plan on still being on the job, at least part time or per diem, for a few years to help pay off some student loans. Then however, I don't know. It makes me kind of sad to realize that one day I leave behind something that has been a huge part of my life for nearly 6 years. I can't imagine how those of you who have been in longer felt. At some point though, you have to make the decision that is right for you.

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday.

Now I don't know what to do. I'm too old to go to a fire department and have no other career paths open. I'm not wanted at my current job because my expectations are too high. I think most here would consider my expectations to be minimal at best.

I'm off to Monster.com........

Yesterday.

Now I don't know what to do. I'm too old to go to a fire department and have no other career paths open. I'm not wanted at my current job because my expectations are too high. I think most here would consider my expectations to be minimal at best.

I'm off to Monster.com........

Cough cough...<want to come overseas> cough

After several years on the job, I am seeing in myself that I am getting snappy with people (like 80%). The worst is that I think my partners are kind of seeing this too.

I just don't understand people anymore.

Just as an example...

33 year old female calls 911 at midnight. We are sitting outside of her building for at least 10 minutes before she decides to walk up. She lives probably within a 5 min cab ride (if not 10 min walk) of 3 hospitals (not that she needed one). She is calling because she has felt nauseated all day.

Me - When did this first start?

Her - I don't know, earlier this afternoon.

Me - Did you take anything for it? (I listed several OTC meds).

Her - No, I was too busy all day...

Me - *I gave a bit of a sigh, and rolled my eyes a bit*

Her - Is there a problem? You seem upset...

Me - Well.... * I continue asking her standard questions, menstration, prego, etc...and she looks shocked*

Just drive me too the hospital.

This isn't a homeless person, she was not a psych, she was well dressed and presumably educated.

Oh and the woman in her mid 40's a had recently who called because she popped a zit and it wouldn't stop bleeding. This was in a 500k+ condo and she said "I told them it wasn't an emergency, but I have gone through THREE ROLLS OF TOILET PAPER and I FEEL DIZZY".

She also lived with a 5 minute ride from a hospital.

The first patient wanted to go to the hospital, the second I suggested not.

EDIT - The worst is when my partners say "job security" or "an easy call". Sorry...that is not how I feel.

Let me see, it was the 3 am call to the same woman we'd been to twice already that day. 450 lbs plus, seated in a ocean of her own piss, that took 4 people to lift, and put back on the bed. Knowing we would be back in about an hour when she needed another twinkie or moon pie.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.