Tattoos on the job

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's always going to be a debate on tattoos because there's the spectrum of opinions on them. To one far end, people see them as works of the devil, they're disgusting, useless, tasteless wastes of perfectly beautiful human skin. To the opposite end, they're works of art, a modification that must be done, a means of standing out from the hordes of bland, boring flesh. Then there's the two middle factions. One thinks they're not professional if able to be seen outside of the uniform and doesn't like them. The other also thinks they're not professional if able to be seen outside the uniform but does like them. I belong to that latter category. I love tattoos, I like the expression and the individuality, but I don't like it when someone I'm supposed to be viewing as a professional has them sticking out from the sleeves, or onto the neck or calves (if wearing shorts). There's some people this can be tolerated from (my opinion), like UPS delivery guys, pizza delivery guys, or people who work in phone centers and have no face to face contact with their customers. I like my job to be simple when I'm trying to help them, and no harm can come from the patient not SEEING the tattoos. Sure, you may get 100 patients that have no problem with tattoos, as long as you're professional and competent then everything will go swimmingly. But it'll be that one patient that offers up even the slightest bit of hesitation in accepting my help that will make me want to take a cheese grater to my own skin. My opinion: Tattoos are great. I would just keep them tucked away.

i prefer to judge people on their actions, not on their ability to manage their extra cash. tattoo have moved from the taboo to mainstream american culture so i don't hate on them. i don't really have any desire to get tattoos because a lot of older admin people still partially judge by body modification but maybe someday when i get exactly where i want to be, i might get a small symbolic one somewhere

Sad but true...My old fire chief has a tatoo of the US Marine Corps emblem on his R FA. He worked PT for a local private ambulance service, who tried to force him to wear long sleeves to cover the tatoo, as they deemed it "unprofessional." He fought the decision (he got his medic cert back when Christ was a Corpral) and won, with most of the reason (possibly) he had known the head honchos at the ambulance company for decades.

Back in the early '90's one of the fire Lt.s I worked with had a nephew move into town who was a tattoo artist. Several of the guys got inked, including one of the Capts. He had been a Marine. He got the Marine bulldog with a fire helmet on it. The Chief didn't really say to much about them, except for the Captain's. For some reason he gave him a hard time about. Maybe he thought it was too undignified for the a Capt. to have one done. I don't know.

It is not about us, it is about our patients. Many patients are not comfortable being around people with tats. Get over it. If you want them do them where they are not visible while on duty. Put others above yourselves and you'll be better people.

Because they sign your check and you wear their uniform!

Again for arguments sake, it's not really them, but their insurance. We all know "self pays" typically don't.

Personally, I really don't have an opinion either way on tatoos, I form my opinions on partners based on their performance.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.