Politicians trying to Mislead Public about AEMS Pay

spenac

Here is an editorial from a politician trying to mislead the public as to what Austin EMS pays Paramedics. I have talked to them and they start you around $43000 a year and you max out way below $80000 he claims average paramedics are being paid. These crooks I mean politicians should be sent to jail for so blatantly lying.

[web:61e0944847]http://www.statesman.com/opinion/content/editorial/stories/07/27/0727policepay_edit.html[/web:61e0944847]

http://www.statesman.com/opinion/content/e...cepay_edit.html

EDITORIAL

Cops, firefighters must not get keys to vault this time

Austin public safety employees, highest paid in Texas, demand more. City must say no.

Sunday, July 27, 2008

This city's Emergency Medical Services department's pay is also quite high among comparable cities. At some ranks, Austin EMS is first, and the maximum base salary for paramedics is about 26 percent above the average for comparable cities.

That is, in a word, outrageous, and City Manager Marc Ott's negotiators should unceremoniously reject it. Ott's proposed budget, which is based on giving public safety employees the same 2.5 percent raise as other city workers, already includes serious budget cuts and fee increases. If the public safety unions get their way, that will mean even more cuts in library hours, parks employees, social services and other city functions.

This time, the city manager and council must take a firm stand and fight for the taxpayers who pay for all of it.

Ott has proposed a minimally smaller tax rate for 2009, but higher appraisals means property taxes will rise again. His budget closes a $25 million gap between projected revenue and spending, but that plan will disintegrate if the public safety unions again receive outsized raises.

Under the proposed budget, branch libraries will have to close on Thursdays or Fridays, and the Parks and Recreation Department will be short staffed. Also, trash collection fees will rise 40 percent and water bills by 7 percent. But that picture will darken considerably if the police, fire and EMS unions continue to demand — and receive — raises above those given other city employees. After five years of public safety's 2 percent premium, there is no good argument to continue it.

A recent city report found that Austin's per capita spending on the police department grew 84 percent over the nine years ending in 2006. That was twice the per capita increase of most other Texas cities.

The unions are negotiating from a position of strength, however. They are powerful sources of campaign money in city elections and helped elect a majority on the council. Plus, the police department has gained new measures of respect under Chief Art Acevedo.

It also should be noted that the demands the unions are making on city taxpayers won't affect most of their members, since more than 60 percent of police officers and firefighters don't live in Austin.

In the past five years, the City Council has spent $53 million just on the extra raises for public safety employees. That has propelled police, firefighters and EMS employees into the top pay ranks not only in Texas but around the nation.

Austin is fortunate to have an excellent police force, good firefighters and EMS lifesavers. But over the years, they have surpassed their peers in pay and benefits. This is the year for City Hall to think first of the Austin taxpayers who pick up those bills.

Firstly, I'm not a big fan of unions. And while the numbers may or may not be correct depending on who you believe, how much money is enough? I would think a 15.6 percent increase is a little excessive. I realise Austin is an expensive place to live and the article states most LEO's and FF's don't reside in the City. That being said, I don't blame the unions for asking for it. Apparently, precedent had been previously set. Ask and ye shall receive, so to speak.

Now, it is time for government to be more fiscally responsible. Balanced budgets should be mandated. They cannot continue to go to the well (us) every time there is a shortfall. Enough is enough. We all have to live within our financial restraints and so should government.

$40,000.00 for a brand new wet behind the ears medic is a pretty good starting salary. I'm sure with overtime and benefits you could get close to the $80,000.00 quoted. People only see the take home pay. Not what it costs the company to employ you and pay your benefits.

EMSPROFESSIONAL made my chuckle. On one hand they state they deserve more than $80,000.00 because of the danger involved in what we do. So what? We knew that going in, I hope. On the other hand they state they're in EMS primarily to help people. Which one is it?

Anyway, for $80,000.00, I'm moving to Austin. :lol:

Firstly, I'm not a big fan of unions. And while the numbers may or may not be correct depending on who you believe, how much money is enough? I would think a 15.6 percent increase is a little excessive. I realise Austin is an expensive place to live and the article states most LEO's and FF's don't reside in the City. That being said, I don't blame the unions for asking for it. Apparently, precedent had been previously set. Ask and ye shall receive, so to speak.

Now, it is time for government to be more fiscally responsible. Balanced budgets should be mandated. They cannot continue to go to the well (us) every time there is a shortfall. Enough is enough. We all have to live within our financial restraints and so should government.

$40,000.00 for a brand new wet behind the ears medic is a pretty good starting salary. I'm sure with overtime and benefits you could get close to the $80,000.00 quoted. People only see the take home pay. Not what it costs the company to employ you and pay your benefits.

EMSPROFESSIONAL made my chuckle. On one hand they state they deserve more than $80,000.00 because of the danger involved in what we do. So what? We knew that going in, I hope. On the other hand they state they're in EMS primarily to help people. Which one is it?

Anyway, for $80,000.00, I'm moving to Austin. :lol:

Why can't EMSPROFESSIONAL have both? For that matter why can't we all? Where is it written you must had what you do to get a decent pay check?

I do EMS because I enjoy helping people, but I will not do it free. As an EMT-I I bring in close to $45000 at my full time job. Does this mean I don't care for my patients? In my honest opinion it is not enough. I am away from my family, I as EMSPROFESSIONAL mentioned face way to many dangers for so little compensation.

Jake I hate saying it your attitude that we are paid enough is what keeps the profession from actually getting to a pay scale that would entice quality people to it. With better pay people would be more willing to pursue higher education.

Jake why is it wrong to want to be paid so that on my days off I can stay home with my family rather than working another job? Other professions are allowed to make a living, why can't we? The cost of living has climbed and will continue to climb. My income has not come anywhere near staying up with inflation. It is not fiscally responsible for any of us to stay in EMS. So if we take responsibility for ourselves it would mean there would be no ambulance service period, because we would all go to higher paying professions.

I agree Spen, I dont see any reason why we cant have both? When I first broke into EMS my first 5 years was entirley volunteer then I finally got a paid job as an EMT-B. The two closest paying companies to where I lived at the time were AMR and one other company which shall go unnamed. AMR in my area is incredably difficult to get into where as the other company hired brand new personel and personel other companies wont hire. So my only choice was them. At $10.50 an hour they are quite litterally the lowest paying company in the state (most start around 12-14) but with careful budgeting I was still able to get my first apartment and a reliable, fuel efficiant car. Add some utilities here and there (no cable or internet or anything I could live without... and I became a responsable adult.

Within 6 months I found myself taking a second job (after a "pay cut" at my full time) and barley making due with both. Had to give up the car and even got power shut off for two weeks. I remember running into an AMR crew and when we compared pay grades their jaws dropped when I told them what I made. Hell I did the math one day and figured that after taxes my take home pay for my volunteer incentive check (if I did 4 calls in a day, which was feasable in my jurisdiction) was more than one 12hr shift at my full time job.

I would do this job for free. If I were wealthy that is. But being born to the blue collar half of my family, paying $4.45/gal on gas and god knows how much on home heating oil, then the usual bills on top of that, itll never happen. Thank God I dont have kids (no offense parents). Hell Id love to get my paramedic, but at $6,000 (provided I even get selected for the class) and the fact that I cant even get approved for a student loan its out of the question for now. Nursing school probably indeffinatley out of the question.

Most of us are all here to help people... but we do diserve to make more.

Referencing to the FDNY EMS, starting EMTs can get salary of $27,295, maxing at 5 years at $39,179.

Paramedics start at $37,346, and max out at 5 years at $50,501.

Source: NYC.Gov/FDNY

Spenac listen, I'm all about the advancement of my profession. As you know, I completed my AAS degree in Dec. '07 and will be starting my BS in EMC in a few weeks. But I'm only one man. Once I complete that degree, I think I deserve to be paid more than certificate medics. Will I? In a word, No. We as a profession will not reap the benefit's of advanced education until several scenarios are disposed of which have been discussed here ad nauseam. Education, hobbiests, too many levels of providers, entry level of education for medics, IAFF medic mills etc., that is what holds us back, not my attitude.

I provided a link here with the top 31 jobs and their salaries. Notice the Title, salary and level of education required for entry, Coincidence, I think not.

http://www.usnews.com/articles/business/be...op-careers.html

I like the all mighty dollar as much as the next guy and wish I made more. But if AEMS medics are already the highest paid (or close to it) in the Country, how much is enough?

Spenac, it's not my attitude that is holding my profession back. We have discuss on this very board many times what is holding EMS back. To be clear, I love what I do but won't do it for free. The unfortunate part is there is some people who will. I make a decent living with Gov't benefits and retirement. It could always be more however, salaries across the Country and cost of living where one resides are factored into what rate of pay one receives. What I was saying was, If the Austin City Council can't pay more without raising taxes again, as the article states they are already in a deficit, than they can't. 15.6% over 4 years would be nice. The problem is they can't afford it. Do I think I deserve $80,000.00/yr? Sure I do. Do I think I'll get it? Of course not.

I usually agree with what you have to say. This time though, I must disagree my friend. 8)

While I completely agree with the need for higher education, I disagree that without it we should be paid less than a ff or cop. Even with certificate medics, the amount of "school" involved exceeds that of a fire or police academy, and EMS certainly works a lot harder on average than either other profession. If a cop or ff can be paid $80,000 a year, than so can a medic. Just my opinion.

While I completely agree with the need for higher education, I disagree that without it we should be paid less than a ff or cop. Even with certificate medics, the amount of "school" involved exceeds that of a fire or police academy, and EMS certainly works a lot harder on average than either other profession. If a cop or ff can be paid $80,000 a year, than so can a medic. Just my opinion.
p3, I agree with you. Somehow youse guys are missing what I'm saying. :? Where exactly, are they to get the money to pay us from? There are grants to help pay for FF personnel. I'm certain if I looked hard enough, I could find one through DHS for Police Officers.

AEMS cannot get blood from a stone. Without raising taxes or getting at least half reimbursement for services rendered, how do they find the money to pay $80,000.00/yr per medic? I'm all ears.

Ok so heres a question for someone who may be better versed in ambulance billing and polotics. Where the hell does all my money go after my wallet is raped for a transport? I see bigger ambulance bills than hospital bills.

I know I can probably break it down; gas, maintinence, equipment/drugs... etc. but with the money EMS pulls in how can they not afford to pay employees more? Im obviously not talking about small organizations though.

But my point is... unless its a private fire department, I dont pay a bill for fire services and Ive never gotten a bill from PD either. Of course Im sure this is why they get all the grants. But after buying new toys they still manage to pay their guys better?

If you pay property taxes, You pay for FD and PD. EMS only gets a small % of tax money, compared to the other two.

On the question of how can they pay more. Pay the county administrators less money and divide it up evenly!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.