CFD Medics and racial slurs over the radio

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look where racism has gotten us far. Look at what it has done to at least our country, the United States. Look at our prisons, its full of hateful people. I supposed Hitler wasn't wrong either. I suppose if you talk about it enough, you can justify anything. This is a business of caring for people when their sick and injured and nothing more. Racism doesn't belong in this professional setting.

I like Thought-Police even less than I like racists.

That's because slurs are sometimes used ironically, sometimes self-ironically, sometimes to lampoon racism itself, or other sins against humanity. Do we trust censors to discern the true intent and context of every infraction of conventional decency?

Larger question: To what extent does demonstrated misjudgment in one department of life disqualify someone from holding responsibility in another department? I knew someone who said she wouldn't hire a babysitter that used cigarettes. "You mean, around your kinds, right?" I asked. "No, I mean at all; I don't trust anyone that stupid to look after my family."

Fellows in this story certainly seem guilty of imprudence; does that in itself mean they'll necessarily be inattentive or malicious? To what extent is universal philanthropy a job-requirement for a healthcare provider? Does the moral of this little story apply?

Glad I've solved all the problems here.

Whatever houses I may visit, I will come for the benefit of the sick, remaining free of all intentional injustice, of all mischief and in particular of sexual relations with both female and male persons, be they free or slaves.

--Hippocratic oath

I run into people I don't like all the time on the ambulance, yet every one of my patients is treated exactly the same. I have coworkers in my full-time job that I don't like very much, but I still treat them respectfully and work with them in the same capacity as anyone else. Do you really find it so difficult to believe that someone can put personal feelings aside and just do their job?

(Bold by me)

http://theblackkettle.blogspot.com/2008/04...ter-indian.html

http://www.rhrealitycheck.org/blog/2008/02...refusing-canada

http://www.remembersegregation.org/

And I could have gone on all night...I didn't even get into the complaints of maltreatment by aids patients...

So yes, I do find it difficult to believe that many people can put aside personal bias and treat everyone equally.

Dwayne

So yes, I do find it difficult to believe that many people can put aside personal bias and treat everyone equally.

I suppose that just validates my believe that I truly am better than most people.

There's been times when someone was on VOX and not realize it and it is picked up. One big thing with slurs or anything else is that it can ruin the reputation of your service. It can ruin an individuals reputation on the street if the name of the person who said it get's out.

In the mid 80's we always had racial tensions running high. Luckily the private service I was working with had a good reputation. At times it did work to our advantage when we were called to the "projects". There was a particular family who had an elderly father that was bed ridden at home. There were a few of us that treated their daddy right and in turn we had there help in certain situations. If someone or a group in the projects was giving us a hard time all we had to do was yell for Frankie or Leroy (yes, that was his name) and it was like the Dead Sea parting. I can't think of the other brother's name. Then we had no trouble at all.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.