giving blood for the first time

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first time donating blood was in high school. I was fine all with the needles and the bleeding, but apparently my body really likes its blood because when it was all said and done, I got up out of the chair and went over to the canteen where I promptly passed out. I started getting all woozy and my ears were ringing and a black curtain started closing in on my vision. Next thing I knew, I was laying on the ground with a bunch of people around me freaking out. Apparently when I lost consiousness I pissed my pants, which was quite embarrassing. :? Also, one of my teachers was there and as the blood-taker-out'er person was doing a sternal rub on me, he took that as them doing CPR and ran to get the school nurse and they both ran back to me, but by that point I was awake already.

Long story short, I got to go home for the day which was a plus! So lesson learned, if you start feeling like you're going to pass out, just get on the floor and lay down. Also, pee before donating! :oops:

My first time donating blood was in high school. I was fine all with the needles and the bleeding, but apparently my body really likes its blood because when it was all said and done, I got up out of the chair and went over to the canteen where I promptly passed out. I started getting all woozy and my ears were ringing and a black curtain started closing in on my vision. Next thing I knew, I was laying on the ground with a bunch of people around me freaking out. Apparently when I lost consiousness I pissed my pants, which was quite embarrassing. :? Also, one of my teachers was there and as the blood-taker-out'er person was doing a sternal rub on me, he took that as them doing CPR and ran to get the school nurse and they both ran back to me, but by that point I was awake already.

Long story short, I got to go home for the day which was a plus! So lesson learned, if you start feeling like you're going to pass out, just get on the floor and lay down. Also, pee before donating! :oops:

I thought this was only common with seizures? Can someone elaborate?

I thought this was only common with seizures? Can someone elaborate?

I will try.

When one faints, as when one has a seizure episode's postictal (spelling?), one looses muscle control, kind of like an ill timed really total relaxation. This includes the muscles that prevent the urine from exiting the bladder under normal conditions. I have also had patients that also released fecal matter.

It is tied to the fainting, not the blood donation, but the concept of relieving oneself prior to the donation seems to be a good idea.

It also occurs to me, or perhaps this is the local Blood Bank policy, that after the donation is made, the donor is first assisted to a seated position, and then paused, asked if they feel all right, before being stood up, and assisted to the "canteen" area. I mean physically assisted, with them holding on to an arm, to at least assist the patient down to the floor if they either "grey" or "black" out.

I "greyed" out after a donation once. I told them I felt woozy, before I moved off the donor table, and they practically threw me back down, and elevated my legs for about 10 minutes before trying to allow me up again. After that 10 minutes, and being held for an additional 10, instead of the usual 5 in the "Canteen", I was well enough to resume my life.

I have donated several times after that, and also got blood, as mentioned in my previous posting.

Great for you to do that, medic_girl_chas. I'm always encouraging folks to do the same. But I've never given. They won't take mine. Guess I got old tired blood or something.

After the recent sugar refinery explosion (02/07/08 ) here in the Savannah, GA area, there was a bunch of blood drives that took place. Needless to say, I participated by giving a pint. I figured it was a small 'price' to pay, in order to be able to help out. (the authorities wouldnt let me into he plant, so working triage, ems or with fire was out)

Anyway, after my donation, the workers of the bloodmobile would actually get you a glass of soda, and you had to lay there and drink most (if not all) of it before they would let you get up and move to the 'canteen' area or leave.

What I thought was funny is listening to all these big burly 'tough guy' types whimper and dig for excuses not to have to give a pint. Most common 'excuse' was the 'fear of needles'...

When they'd get teased about the 'big tough guy is afraid of a tiny little poke'...some would try to 'man up' and get as far as the point where the phlebotomist was about to insert the cath and start the draw...came the funniest part, where we could watch these guys layin there whimpering like a beat puppy..... :D:lol::lol::lol:

I started donating blood in high school as well. I never had any ill effects from it. I donated until I turned 23 and wasn't allowed to donate any more secondary to anemia.

Since I was 25, I have been on the receiving end of 15 separate blood transfusions totalling over 40 units. My most recent transfusion was last October. In three instances, I had severe enough GI bleeding, I got to spend a week or more in the ICU. Needless to say, I appreciate anyone willing to donate blood. I consider blood and organ donors the "real" life-savers.

Thank you for your gift.

I've never felt ANY ill effects donating blood. No faintness, dizziness, weakness, nausea. I've actualy always felt better after I do it!

I must be the wierd one.

First time I donated, I filled the bag in 5 minutes, then went to track practice and ran 6 miles... beat that *flexes* :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.