How long should new hire's be watched?

After asking paramedic's and emt's from the 4 different private ambulance companies here I have found that none of them require more than new hires to ride more than 2 8 hour days with a crew and on those days they do very little, really nothing more than helping load and unload the stretcher and the paper work.

So my question is this, how long should new hire emt's and paramedic's be evaluated to see what exactly their skill level is, how their patient care is, and that they have retained the necessary skills to competently do the job.

My follow up question is, how does your service gauge their new people, how do they make sure they have hired a good emt/paramedic, because it seems to me, here, they wait on the mistakes as opposed to weeding out the people that are not going to do a good job.

New hires on my service are watched for the first 6 months via a probationary status. During the 6 months, the new hires are watched by their fellow crew members and reports are written by the more senior crew members as to the new hires abilities. After 6 months, the new hire is either hired or let go.

Also, for each level a certain number of IV sticks, EKG rhythms, and other level specific tasks must be completed and signed off by their crew member.

This system appears to work pretty good, but there is a lack of ems professionals in the area, so my service sometimes has to hold onto some people that they normally wouldn't, so that they can cover shifts.

I live in the Southwestern part of Illinois (15-20 mins from downtown St Louis) and work for a private service that requires new hires do 3 sifts ride-a-long paid. One one an ALS truck and two on a BLS truck. This is not really set in stone as I know I did only one ALS and then got thrown on the streets, and I am not the only one. Our competition in this area requires a lot (heard 6 months of ride-a-longs) unpaid to be hired. I think that is too much, however I think my company does not do enough. To put it bluntly we had one recent new hire that cant do paperwork, cant do BP(including palpation), and cops an attitude anytime anyone trys to help him(especially women). We have had others just like him, or worse(one of our EMT's killed a pt admitted it to family on scene and still works here) These people could have easily been weeded out had our company spent a little more time with them(or made sure they got the help they needed in the beginning)

in one of the major centers up here, the new hires spend a week or 2 as 3rd on car, just learning service-specific equipement (radios, gps, etc). then back to class. they do a total of 6 weeks training before going on a mentorship for another coupld months. they work as a normal 2 person car, but much more work and leadership by the senior member. this system seems to work very well

Where I've just precepted (?) I was told that all new hires (speaking of medics, I'm not sure about basics) go through an academy.

It consists of 14-14 hour days in a row, where pharmacology, cardiology, review of a&p and local protocols are reviewed and pass or fail testing is done daily. I was told that about 50% of new hires remain after the academy.

Then they have a mandatory 2 month FI period during which time the new hire assesses,treats and creates documentation for ALL patients as well as having an expectation of one becoming familiar with the local geography. If you should be found lacking in either month, and they like you, you can apply for a third month.

Should you fail to pass competency in the FI phase, but for some reason they have decided you have potential, they will keep you on as a basic, with the appropriate basic pay for six months. During this time you're expected to strengthen the points that caused you to fail your FI and are regularly tested and your improvement/lack of improvement noted.

At the end of the six month period, if it's found that you've applied yourself to meeting the standards you fell short of, then you can reenter the academy and FI process and give it another go.

From what I've heard, though the option exists, only two or three people have been allowed to follow the route to retake the academy, which I've also heard is very hard.

Anyway, I've gotten this same story from two medics...maybe more, but haven't' verified it in their paperwork...but I believe this is probably pretty accurate.

What I can say from personal experience is that this system is populated with very smart, very professional medics. (I'm sure there are some chuckle heads...but I didn't cross paths with any). The system is probably not perfect, and I'm sure there are other safeguards in place to create this professional environment...I just have not idea what they are...I'm just a student after all...sheesh.

Hope this helps!

Dwayne

Until he/she proves themself, how ever long it takes, for me it was a day and a half.

We had a girl here that took 3 months and still couldn't do it right. She was eventually fired.

I had to do 2 months which equates to 384 hours of being the lead medic on the ambulance under the scrutiny of my partner and one other FTO. Now, that being said, I had worked for this service as an EMT-I whilst finishing medic classes and did most of my clinical time there, so they were familiar with me and my abilities and weaknesses.

It is my understanding that other new hires, regardless of experience have to do the same 2 months of ride time with 2 different FTOs. I am sure there is some flexibility in this policy, depending on the individual, but cannot confirm that.

In answer to the second part of your question, we as employees have to complete a ALS exam which in all honesty, isn't that difficult. Then there is a 3 stage interview process and of course, the dreaded oral boards with the medical director. Once you have successfully completed this steps, they will do a background check before offering you a position.

I will not pretend to know what criteria causes my employer to hire or not hire an individual. Since I have only worked for this one service, I have nothing to compare it to. I don't know whether or not this is adequate. I will say, the majority of the medics I work with are very well educated and competent providers. I only know of 2 that are borderline whackers, the Star of Life decals on their POV with the Paramedic sticker at the top of their rear window ( picture a University sticker ) puts them in this category.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.