1 step forward, 2 steps back...New EMT-I program for KY

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So what was wrong with running BLS trucks with paramedic squads? It seems to work okay for Houston FD and it's the fourth largest city in the US. I'm sure it can work for a city of 70K. If the current EMTs were so interested, why haven't they been working towards getting their paramedic cert all along?

Ok, so let's put on our critical thinking hat here.

County has problem retaining paramedics due to poor pay due to metro services paying $3/hr more

Solution :!: spend money for a pilot program for EMT-I.

Incentive for EMT-Bs: $2/hr pay increase upon certification.

Critical thinking time: -$3/hr + $2/hr=-$1/hr. Now, if they were to put all the money that they are using to develop and maintain this program into paying their medics more, I think they might be able to come up with an extra dollar/hr pay.

So:

-$3/hr+$2/hr (pay hikes for EMT-Is) + $1/hr by saving money from implementing and maintaining an EMT-I program=$0/hr difference=their current explanation is bunk.

Did I miss something in the article?

if you dont work here dont bust it ok i do live in louisville,ky and yes i know of whats going we do what we can with what we have if what you got work use it and we well use what worked best for us

oh one more thing are Total Population 715,196 thats just for louisville.ky

What are the additional education and skill sets they are requiring for the EMT-I? What interventions are they proposing that a EMT-I will be performing? My personal opinion is that they could include what ever these skills are into the EMT-B curriculum and who ever cant keep up with it will be led to the door. Would it not benefit everyone to have better educated, more highly skilled basics than to create another expensive program? If you need a EMT-I you more than likely will need a EMT-P. That is my opinion and it is just that my opinion.

I would like to see it go from pilot program to statewide option, but I don't believe it will. There's been talk about allowing EMT-I for years. There's no demand for it especially on the eastern side of Kentucky, the majority of the services are private owned and what do they need EMT-Is for...when they already have their handful of medics and two handfuls of EMT-Bs to do what they need. The higher certification will not change a thing...pay or otherwise. The best thing to do in the Bluegrass state is to just go ahead and get your medic.

What are the additional education and skill sets they are requiring for the EMT-I? What interventions are they proposing that a EMT-I will be performing? My personal opinion is that they could include what ever these skills are into the EMT-B curriculum and who ever cant keep up with it will be led to the door. Would it not benefit everyone to have better educated, more highly skilled basics than to create another expensive program?

Dude, are you seriously going to start that nonsense again?

You were doing so good the last couple of days!

My personal opinion is that they could include what ever these skills are into the EMT-B curriculum and who ever cant keep up with it will be led to the door. Would it not benefit everyone to have better educated, more highly skilled basics than to create another expensive program? If you need a EMT-I you more than likely will need a EMT-P. That is my opinion and it is just that my opinion.

Two very good statements this time!!

Yes better educated basics is the way to go!! Get rid of EMT-I and extend the didactic portion of EMT-B by 4-500 hours.

Then you will have highly educated EMT-B's who can perform some ALS procedures.

But wait... as you said if you need advanced procedures, you need Paramedics, so let's scrap the "B" altogether and just have one cert, Paramedic.

By george I think he is gettin it :lol:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.