1 step forward, 2 steps back...New EMT-I program for KY

I was soooooo going to stay out of this discussion. First, I love Kentucky. I lived there for a while several years ago, and it's absolutely beautiful. The first thing I remember about Kentucky was how clean it smelled after it rained. Regardless of rain or drought, my own hometown just smelled like cement dust and cancer.

Like most paramedics that actually care about career advancement, I hate the idea of an EMT-I, unless they are under direct supervision of ME, and do not do anything until I say it's alright. After that, they're more than welcomed to get up front and drive. I'd be a big fan of the double paramedic truck, however I have control issues. Aside from control issues, I haven't met many paramedics that are even remotely close to having the education I choose to devote to my career. Perhaps that's why I spend so much time on EMTCity. I crave intelligent conversation.

One of my closest friends is a paramedic with the service in the article. I brought this discussion to his attention today. He has no problem with the EMT-I, as long as they are under his direct supervision, and do not do anything until he says it's alright. Sound familiar? He did tell me that another reason they pushed this EMT-I program through was to take the load of all the "ALS" IFT's off the few paramedics on the shifts. He cited that he is often on an "ALS" IFT, only to find that the patient is going from a CCU/ICU to a lesser monitored bed in a hospital, and often they are not even going into a telemetry bed. I could be wrong, and I'm sure Dust, Ruff, and Rid will correct me if I'm wrong, but how is a patient going to a step-down, or ortho rehab floor an ALS transfer?

With that being said, those calls above are perfect BLS transfers calls. What is the point of the EMT-I in that case? Hand me some Excedrin, I have one hell of a headache now.

My friend says he likes the extra hands. I can count on one hand when I might need an extra set of hands that can perform ALS "skills." I might need someone that can start an IV and push a round of code drugs while I'm attempting to get a difficult tube during a cardiac arrest. I might, and sometimes, I might not.

I currently work with a basic. I can't sing her praises enough. She is one of the chosen few basics I like working with out of the 200 or so in my service. I rarely have to tell her what to do. I worked two critical calls with her in the last two shifts, and despite having two incredibly useless fire crews making every attempt to get under my feet, the calls went very smoothly. (They really smoothed out after I booted the firefighters out of my truck. :D) She knew I wanted a tube set up, and IV set up, the monitor and combo patches on. I never had to look up from what I was doing to say "Ugh, will you please put the patches on so I can try to pace!) Funnily enough, she had enough basic "skills" to perform on those calls, that she wouldn't have had time to help me with any of the ALS things I had to ponder and perform.

In all honesty, the thing that really ticks me off about this EMT-I thing in Bullitt Co, is the pay rate. They are making more than I am, and I went to college! :shock:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.