JEMS different now?

You know, a few months back someone started a thread about JEMS not being much to brag about and Dr. Bledsoe said he would make some recommendations, and that the magazine would listen...

It seems to me it's made a pretty radical change since then. Is it just my imagination?

Did JEMS get smarter in the last few months? (Oh hell...maybe I got dumber? :shock: )

Dwayne

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you talking specifically about the magazine? Or are you including the web content in your assessment? I haven't seen the magazine in years, but I check the website stories pretty regularly. I haven't noticed a blatant difference there, but I'll start looking closer.

Yeah, that magazine specifically.

And of course this isn't very objective. I don't save them, so can't look back. It's just that as I was reading through this months issue I thought, "Hmmmm...this used to take about 3-4 minutes, but now it seems to take an hour or so." Yeah, dumb I know.

I'll try and pay more attention, I was just curious if anyone else seemed to notice.

Dwayne

I haven't seen JEMs in a long time either, so I wouldn't know either.

Yes, they are having better contributions. Not up to scientific standards, but much better than it has been. I believe that they really do have the interest at heart. Alike, what we see on here attempting to convey multiple educational levels is hard and difficult. Just read some other EMS forums.

Remember, they have to sell their publications.

As we see more and more educated Paramedics, the more we will see more informative articles. Shameful, yes. But really, what can we expect when the majority of Paramedics still read at a 10'th grade level? Again, when the bar has been raised other supplements will follow, again they want to sell what to what is demanded.

R/r 911

While an educational, scientific professional journal for EMS would be nice, I don't really expect that out of JEMS. I mean, there is a place for a magazine that simply covers the news and issues of our profession without getting all scientific. We need both, and I don't think that JEMS is particularly well placed to be that scientific journal.

I'd just be happy if they got serious about professional issues, diving into what is wrong and why, as well as what works and why. Stop pandering to the "cool factor" wankerisms. A good start would be a new editor-in-chief. Just about every article that guy writes, I find myself rolling my eyes at.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.