Lock or Line?

akroeze

Lock or not lock. I am new to this forum but have been a medic for 15 years. I have seen this question talked about for a long time. Some say it's more convenient to lock: convenient for whom? the nurse, medic or pt. . My opinion is this procedure is NOT or should be considered a convenience. We are not doctors. If you can't decide on what is the correct thing to do, then consult with your medical control and review your protocol. Remember that the pt. is your first priority! DO NO HARM.

Are you trying to tell me that you would contact Med control to get orders for a saline lock or to hang a bag? :?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lock or not lock. I am new to this forum but have been a medic for 15 years. I have seen this question talked about for a long time. Some say it's more convenient to lock: convenient for whom? the nurse, medic or pt. . My opinion is this procedure is NOT or should be considered a convenience. We are not doctors. If you can't decide on what is the correct thing to do, then consult with your medical control and review your protocol. Remember that the pt. is your first priority! DO NO HARM.

What we've got here is... BRAIN LOCK!

I guess the part saying that if you don't know what is appropriate, follow your protocols I can agree with, except that if you don't know whether or not fluid administration is appropriate you have a larger issue to contend with. The rest, I'm not sure.

Yeah, I have to believe the point here is not the one we've assumed it is...

What's up with this medictx? I'm guessing you had a point we're missing, but you're gonna have to help us out...

Texas....always getting trouble from Texas....

Dwayne

It depends on the situation. If it's a cardiac patient, I will hang a line, if it's a bad cardiac, I will put another line in with a lock.

Either way you look at it, a line or a lock is just about the same as far as procedure. You could always hang a line, and shut it off, or attatch the line to the lock... so, if the patient doesn't immediately need fluids, it's preference.

The point I was trying to communicate is that: 1) starting an IV should not be an issue of convenience. 2) Protocols and standing orders are in-place to be followed. If a doctor states that when you start an IV and he/she wants fluid hung, then thats what you do. If he/she states you can lock off the catheter without fluid, then thats what you do.

It's not your decision to make, you are in-place to follow doctors orders and not do something just because its one more thing to hold or get in the way.

PERSONAL ATTACKS REMOVED - ADMIN

1) starting an IV should not be an issue of convenience.

I don't think anyone was implying that it is.

2) Protocols and standing orders are in-place to be followed. If a doctor states that when you start an IV and he/she wants fluid hung, then thats what you do. If he/she states you can lock off the catheter without fluid, then thats what you do.

It's not your decision to make, you are in-place to follow doctors orders and not do something just because its one more thing to hold or get in the way.

Where do you work that you have to call for something as simple as an IV? Are you and your coworkers so incapable as providers that you have to call for everything? That might explain your seeming inability to think independently and have to rely on a medical command consult for something a real provider can autonomously determine to be necessary.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.