Running Red Lights/ Stop Signs

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brentoli wrote

Or outfit all ambulances like KITT. Real time imagry and advanced computer calculations, knows the exact speed to run an intersection to miss all traffic.

Ruffems wrote

Brent, he doesn't just miss the traffic, he flies over the traffic after applying the turbo boost function. It's amazing in the show how many front ends were visibly damaged in the jump but amazingly the car was intact in the next shot.

I, Richard B, say

Can you imagine being the patient jolted by either the turboboost launch, or worse, the landing? Besides, the studio probably destroyed numerous cars, as did the "Dukes Of Hazzard" in filming, so they never had a vehicle with the damage from the landings reused. They all got junked, salvaged for usable parts, but never resold for use by any other driver after the stunt shots were filmed

Does anyone have a link to any studies that have been done on running "Hot"?

I did a search but coulden't find any.

I have had a bad experience one night while running to a call for an out of town MS Pt. who was experiencing lower extremity numness, call came in as an "Alpha" which is the lowest priority our dispatch centre has. Half way there cruising at stupid speeds with lights and sirens (as per local protocol), we came upon an intersection which had the stop sign knocked down. I ended up finding myself in a field with poop in my pants.

I have always wondered what the statistics are. No matter what the dispatch info is we Always respond "Hot" and I hate it!

That is supposed to be taught in either CEVO II or in EVOC ..... both classes have the same take on it . I have taken both and I agree that it is an issue . Most EMS vehicle accidents could be avoided by the driver simply paying more attention . A little bit slower will get you there and to the hospital safe and insure the safety of your patient and crew .

You could have your medical director, a group of doctors from your On Line Medical Control, your department Chief of Operations, either the local or state police "highway safety" officers, and the most senior EMTs and Paramedics who both treat the patients and drive the ambulances have a meeting, and decide what priorities specific complaints should be assigned. This would be creating "Prioritizing By Calltypes" protocols. Cardiac arrest would be a Priority One, to be responded to with l&s, for an example.

Using FDNY EMS priorities as an example, an EDP would be a Priority 7, no l&s. I'm presuming that is because the powers that be prefer the NYPD to arrive first and if needed, place the EDP into both protective custody and handcuff restraints, we'll be the transportation (Yes, I know this seems to be a waste of resources, but as has been mentioned in other strings, the patient might be chemically imbalanced instead of mentally imbalanced, thereby causing Altered Mental Status-AMS).

I feel like mentioning, when an ambulance goes off service for a flat, or a motor that cannot be restarted, even that gets a "calltype" specific to the problem, but all of them are Priority Eight, the lowest we have.

Then there are the guys who always drive, no matter what. Some may feel like they already "paid their dues" by riding in the back and that now it's someone else's turn. But if they are always driving, how are they getting their quota's on skills in the back? Sure, some may get to do some of the treatment before loading, but you'd still think it would be hard to keep up.

And remember the joke that when someone would ask someone why they became an EMT and they would say it was so they could drive fast and run red lights?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.