Running Red Lights/ Stop Signs

I could care less,as long as the lights are flashing and the siren is activated,I run like a raped ape! Red lights and stop signs don't mean shiit when seconds count.

How many calls do we actually see where "Seconds count".

I mean really, blowing a red light to save 50-70 seconds? How many patients have you had that coded just outside the hospital door, whereas if you were driving faster the arrest could have happened in the hallway in the hospital?

BTW I hated Recue 911

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh come on Ruff.......we all know that paragraphs are overrated......right along with capitalization and punctuation!!! Such a waist of time! #-o :roll: :D

But seriously.....I'll try and actually use that space bar/tab button as needed next time.....my bad! LOL!

I like the idea of going home at the end of my shift. I love what I do, who I work with and really dont hate my service that much. But to risk my life, my partners life or the life that I am currently trying to save is redundante. I wished we could all use common sense, so just slow down or stop, we are all worth it.

EMTrocker wrote:

I like the idea of going home at the end of my shift. ... I wished we could all use common sense, so just slow down or stop, we are all worth it.

Let me see, now. Lights and Siren run. "All hail the mighty emergency vehicle, and yield to it's overpowering L&S. "

Scenario #1:

Enter the intersection, with the traffic light at RED against you, travelling just a bit slower than Starship Enterprise at Emergency War Warp Factor 7. It's OK, because it's an Emergency Vehicle, and it ain't stopping until it gets to the hospital.Have crossing the same intersection, with the traffic light in their favor at GREEN, the soccer mom, with 7 assorted age children in the minivan. Due to an animated discussion between several of the little darlings, with at least one punch thrown between them, soccer mom is distracted, and doesn't hear the siren, sees not the Emergency lights.

BOOM!!

Emergency Vehicle= Driver injured, Riding EMT, Patient, and patient's adult child DEAD.

Minivan=35 year old female deceased, 11 year old female deceased, 9 year old boy/girl twinset deceased, the other 4 children, aged 2 to 6, injured, and now motherless.

Scenario #2:

Emergency vehicle slows down on approaching the intersection, as the driving EMT has no idea what is coming across the intersection, which has a Traffic light at RED against him. He stops briefly to make sure the crossing is clear.

Have crossing the same intersection, with the traffic light in their favor at GREEN, the soccer mom, with 7 assorted age children in the minivan. Due to an animated discussion between several of the little darlings, with at least one punch thrown between them, soccer mom is distracted, and doesn't hear the siren, sees not the Emergency lights.

Emergency vehicle driver stomps the brakes to stop the vehicle quickly. Partner complains about the sudden stop. Loaded minivan clears the intersection, while soccer mom continues to not know any emergency vehicle is operating within miles of her.

Emergency vehicle=Driver and partner arrive at hospital, but patient dies from illness related to old age. Eventually, Emergency vehicle crew goes home at end of tour. Patient's adult child weeps, but also goes home.

Minivan=Soccer mom and children arrives home, go inside, and have dinner.

Which scenario would you prefer to have, considering you are on that Emergency vehicle?

Which scenario would you prefer to have, considering you are on that Emergency vehicle?

Depends. Am I the dead guy in the back or the driver who is going to lose his job, get sued, and end up doing car dates for crack money.

Personally I would rather be the dead guy in the back.

I'm not sure, but I think you may have missed the sarcasm in the first post you quoted.

I sure hope so. But I'm not convinced it was sarcasm.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.