When did you know YOU were ready?

stcommodore

So you have completed your paramedic testing and have the brand new patch/uniform to go with your experence level. You begin to ride calls "precept" with a skilled provider and after a few weeks see a few BLS and a few acute patients. At what point in your Paramedic time did you feel you were ready to be the sole ALS provider on a call? Did you get the chance to "precept" or were you thrown the keys and a partner and told "don't kill anyone" regardless...

I am currently riding with the partner I did clinical time with for about a month now. For the most part, she drives and I provide patient care. I have stuck my head through the walk-through just to clarify a few things on some occasions. If it is a particularly difficult patient, she'll take it. I find these times though decreasing in frequency as I begin to build more confidence.

I don't know if there is a specific time line for being "cut loose". If your FTO does their job properly, I would hazard a guess of maybe 2 months? :dontknow: . Luckily for me, we run medic/medic and this really isn't an issue.

I will say though, when YOU feel you are ready, that is the appropriate time.

I run in a hospital based two paramedic system. We do long transports and with a very interesting continuity of care paradigm where often we intercept with a BLS unit, care for the patient in the ED, and then do the interfacility transport as well. We run with a senior paramedic for two years before we are let lose on calls with junior people. It is a terrific way to do it.

We have on occasion hired people from other services who have been running in 1 medic - 1 emt systems. They need the two years too...

Yeah, I agree with both chbare and Scaramedic.

I guess I should have qualified my statement a little better. Don't misunderstand my gaining confidence with being completely comfortable. Sometimes I feel like a duck on the pond. Calm on the surface, but paddling like crazy underneath. :duckie:

I agree with CH, you should never feel 100% at ease. It is best to go on every call with a little bit of trepidation, it keeps you on your toes.

As youse guyz know, I've been doing the EMS "Thang" for 34 years. A little bit of unease, due to keeping "on your toes" is not necessarily a bad thing.

There are NO textbook exact calls. What you learn is probably a mix of large numbers of the same, or should I say similar, calls. We're treating individual humans, not exactly alike automatons. Hence, there will always be nuances making each call, even the most familiar call, or the same type call with the same patient, different.

As youse guyz know, I've been doing the EMS "Thang" for 34 years. A little bit of unease, due to keeping "on your toes" is not necessarily a bad thing.

There are NO textbook exact calls. What you learn is probably a mix of large numbers of the same, or should I say similar, calls. We're treating individual humans, not exactly alike automatons. Hence, there will always be nuances making each call, even the most familiar call, or the same type call with the same patient, different.

I completely agree. But for me, the instant I knew, I got shoved into the back while the boss drove and said to yell if I had any questions. Actually, he wouldn't shove me in back unless he had his full confidence in me...I think.

In my neck of the woods, we had to run 10 als calls with a preceptor (senior medic). Once the preceptor "signed off" on you then you were on your own to save the world. :shock: 95% of the time it is medic/basic on the squads. as others have said, I dont think you will ever be completely comfortable which is a good thing. I always relied on my education and skills and as time went by I gained more confindence. There will always be those pucker and Oh Sh**! moments.

When I got my paramedic license I was required to work 90 days, full time, with a field training officer paramedic.

Now that I have experience under my belt, I tend to be a lot harder on myself when it comes to my clinical decisions. I agree with the respected few here, you should never feel 100% comfortable. You're a paramedic, not God.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.