Thanks Fire! For Screwing us over... yet agian.

mrsfa

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Public Service Announcement to Everyone Except Dwayne:

When you're playing pool, watch out for the guy who wanders in pretending he doesn't know which end of the stick is which. Thank you very much.

:shock:

ROTFLMAO @ YOU MICHAEL!!

Did anyone notice that the video was made by an assortment of Fire related agencies?

Is it just us long-timers who remember that the first and most visible Paramedics on TV were the cross-trained Fire Fighter/Paramedics of the Los Angeles County (California) Fire Department's Rescue 51, manned by FF/Pm Johnny Gage and FF/Pm Roy DeSoto?

Anyone care to challenge me that if the first ongoing series about Paramedics had, instead of being a Fire service based agency, had been a Police/Sheriffs Department based service, this string probably would have been a griping session against EMS based in LEO groups?

Then, we long timers would have been singing the praises of not Johnny and Roy, but Reed and Malloy, the 2 cops from "Adam 12", or Jon and Panch of "CHiPs".

Historically, EMS IS connected to the Fire Services.

I started in an independent community based volunteer ambulance corps, and when I started in the municipal EMS, we were hospital based. The actions of a now former mayor of the city of New York (and thank goodness a failed Presidential candidate) placing EMS under the Fire Department (the FDNY, in my specifications here).

I have posited before, and posit again here, things usually work better if a fire agency WANTS to expand their responsibilities to include providing EMS, as opposed to having the politicians TELLING them to expand their responsibilities, or TELLING them to include an existing EMS agency into their "realm". I also feel this causes disharmony on both the part of the Fire Fighters and EMSers.

I further posit that the same thing probably happens when one combines Law Enforcement agencies with EMS agencies, but invite members of LEO based EMS to respond (bad wording choice? Perhaps.) in this string on that regard.

I will not dispute the fact that Johnny and Roy were indeed employed by LAFD. However, they were paramedics. I'm sure there was a time when they manned a hose, I just can't recall it.

I realise it was a TV series and not real life. It just seemed to me that they were dedicated to the EMS unit, therefore paramedics employed by the FD, where their sole function was to provide EMS.

P.S. I used to love "Adam 12".

Public Service Announcement to Everyone Except Dwayne:

When you're playing pool, watch out for the guy who wanders in pretending he doesn't know which end of the stick is which. Thank you very much.

Heh...Michael, you give me too much credit...one of the many things I love about you...

Dwayne

I now go into TV junkie/trivia mode.

Roy was a Fire Fighter in Dr. Kelly Bracket's first class of Fire Fighter/Paramedics at Ramparts General Hospital. Roy talked Johnny, another Fire fighter, into joining up into the Paramedic program, in the second class of Fire fighter/Paramedics.

Initially, they had to respond to Ramparts to pick up Nurse Dixie McCall (RN), and operated under her direct on-scene authority.

When Dixie got hurt on a call, Bracket gave On-Line Medical Control over the radio to Johnny and Roy, even though the law didn't yet allow it. On the basis that they did OK with the On-line Medical Control, the state legislation voted OLMC in as a legal thing, as opposed to direct on-scene control. (Pilot episode, "Emergency!).

I'll say it before anyone else does: I got too much time on my hands!

things usually work better if INSERT: ANY INDIVIDUAL SERVING IN a fire agency WANTS to expand their responsibilities to include providing EMS, as opposed to having [s:599a153a72]the politicians[/s:599a153a72] ANYONE TELLING them to expand their responsibilities

I hope no disrespect to Richard B is suspected by my composing a variation on his words. It's just that he saved me the trouble of finding my own. Words = his, responsibility for the opinions expressed by mangling them = mine.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.