BLS and Glucometers

brentoli

Should BLS ptoviders be equipped with a glucometer  

37 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

Yup,

Hypoglycaemia, paediatric, oesophagus, anaemia etc are all using "proper" English spelling.

As are arse, colour, aluminium, programme, etc

Many a book has been written on the differences of the "American" and "English" language.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In systems that utilize a tiered response, and with several potential recieving facilities, some of which are classified as stroke centers, some that are not having the BLS crew obtain a prehospital blood glucose could make a difference in the cva patient. For example, patient with confusion and slurred speach is followed at facility A, family requests transport there, however facility A is not a stroke center, BLS crew do a quick finger stick and determine that pt has a blood glucose of 152mg/dl. With that information, a transport to facility B may be indicated. Now we can debate BLS vs ALS, tiered vs ALS, fire vs 3rd service, but thats not the question. Can BLS safely obtain a blood glucose as part of a prehospital stroke assessment? Absolutely. IMHO.

Yup,

Hypoglycaemia, paediatric, oesophagus, anaemia etc are all using "proper" English spelling.

As are arse, colour, aluminium, programme, etc

Many a book has been written on the differences of the "American" and "English" language.

What the hell do the Brits know about speaking English? :D 8) :lol:

We can all make up some scenario when you could justify the use of just about any medical procedure.

I was working in Koldknutz, Canada in the middle on Jan. There was a massive snow storm and no helicopter was flying. Koldknutz is a small town that is 250 miles down a dirt road. The closest hospital is 300 miles away and the closest trauma center is in another country. The only 2 cars in the town managed to collide. One driver hit the steering wheel and was in pretty bad shape. We start the 3 day transport to the local trauma center. About a day and a half into it the pt loses his vitals. It was a good thing we were allowed to do thoracotomies because the guy never would have made it.

PatrickW, in the scenario you gave, why would you not just give the oral glucose? You said that the pt was a known diabetic and presenting with hypoglycemic symptoms. Why not just give the oral stuff? Another option is to have the pt or the family check it with their machine. I know I said previously that I was going back an forth with the issue, but I just can't see why BLS would need a glucometer.

How about as part of a stroke assessment? Given a variety of points of entry, some with the status of "stroke center" some without, wouldn't determining that a patients neuro sx's were not related to something as simple as hypoglycemia be important? Regardless of what level of care the patient should be recieving, were talking about a BLS crew with pts presenting with CVA symptoms, and the ability to rule out a very common and easily corrected cause of AMS. Thoughts?

How about as part of a stroke assessment? Given a variety of points of entry, some with the status of "stroke center" some without, wouldn't determining that a patients neuro sx's were not related to something as simple as hypoglycemia be important? Regardless of what level of care the patient should be recieving, were talking about a BLS crew with pts presenting with CVA symptoms, and the ability to rule out a very common and easily corrected cause of AMS. Thoughts?

With a thorough H&P you can usually differentiate between a stroke and hypoglycemia. I don't think anyone would fault a BLS crew for giving oral glucose to someone with a stroke. It may not be an idea situation but it is easily corrected in the ER.