BLS and Glucometers

brentoli

Should BLS ptoviders be equipped with a glucometer  

37 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

I honestly have no clue, but I have no clue why the government thinks that 110 hours of training is enough for people to respond to, assess, treat, and transport medical emergencies either.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't tell me that most Basics understand the patho behind hypoglycemia, though, either. It certainly isn't taught in class nor required in a prereq class.

No, and I realize that...and I do believe it should be, but I"m on the wrong side of the border to try to do anything about that. As above...they're given the sugar to treat the symptoms....oral glucose isn't like a splint, and the symptoms aren't always as obvious as a break....

Brat :angel8:

I honestly have no clue, but I have no clue why the government thinks that 110 hours of training is enough for people to respond to, assess, treat, and transport medical emergencies either.

On that my friend, I absolutely, unequivocally agree with you!

Brat :angel8:

It was one of the things we were trained in during EMT class. Yes, the training was minimal, but so was the training in most everything else we do. It's all just algorithms for EMT, anyway. So, why not this?

Someone asked how it would affect treatment.

*If you have a mildly altered person, you can check sugar and have a direction to approach the rest of your assessment and treatment with (for those who can follow basic commands and swallow glucose, but are still confused).

*It's also just more that's taken care of when ALS arrives (not a big deal, but when patient is totally out, can rule at least one thing out)

*If you work with a medic partner, he can concentrate on his assessment and you can do the manual stuff along with BPs and gathering meds or whatever else, instead of spending time poking fingers.

[/font:7f2da762b7]

I would rather have a Basic learn how to use a glucometer than not. Anyone can buy a glucometer off the shelf at any drug store and teach themselves how to use one. Diabetics use them every day of their lives and the are not even BLS trained. Glucometers are not difficult and they provide a useful piece of information. Someone here gave the example of EKG and 12 leads. How about the fact that AED's are getting more common place and you don't have to be a basic to use those either.

Why not take BP cuffs away from basics too while your at it since they can't start a fluid bolus either? A lower level of education doesn't make the information any less valuable. Even if an EMT-B is unable to do anything about it having the information to the hospital prior to a patients arrival is worthwhile.

Besides there are many places where bls is able to do something for an unconscious diabetic.

I would rather have a Basic learn how to use a glucometer than not. Anyone can buy a glucometer off the shelf at any drug store and teach themselves how to use one. Anyone can buy and use a spirometer, should BLS be able to use it? Just because it's available to the general public doesn't mean that a medical provider should use it. Diabetics use them every day of their lives and the are not even BLS trained. Glucometers are not difficult and they provide a useful piece of information.

Anyone can buy a pulse ox off the shelf and use it, should we let EMT-Bs use pulseox's since it's so easy to use [clip on finger, read number]? How about spirometers? Those are available to the general public, should BLS units be equipped with them? Should BLS be giving insulin to hyperglycemics? Afterall, there's a ton of people who give themselves insulin everyday and they aren't medical providers.

Someone here gave the example of EKG and 12 leads. How about the fact that AED's are getting more common place and you don't have to be a basic to use those either.

AEDs aren't allowed on ambulances in places? I know that some places require a special license for the company [cooperate, not the provider], but the possibility of doing something stupid with an AED, like postponing transport to get a number [you know that'll happen, right. Little EMT-Suzy with her 110 hour bare bones class is going to stop for 5 minutes to get a reading and delay transport/calling ALS], is less likely.

As far as ECGs, do you think EMT-Bs should have access to those? There's a thread someplace asking to be revived if you do.

Such as...

I have already debated this specific thing in an earlier thread but....

In Saskatchewan we were under protocol to lye the Pt. on thier side and swab thier cheek with Glucose. (Even if they were on a spine board)

And NO I would never do it.