Can someone say BUSTED!!!!

NYC-EMS

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, ignoring the fact that the person lied about being an EMT from New York and putting on my devils advocate hat, what if the person is a certified EMT-B from a non-registry/registry optional state?

Now I'm in the Devil's advocates' hat, and ask, does anyone know if the named individual is an EMT or Paramedic in the State of New York? Per what is shown, all I can tell is he is NOT a New Jersey one, and won't be allowed to be one, either.

According to the article, the dude is neither certified in New Jersey, New York, or through the National Registry.

That said, I was looking through them and there are a few real gems in there. There's one about a company using stolen ambulances to run an unlicensed service. Then there's the gem about the patient that was so overly restrained that it would be comical if it wasn't true.

LMAO@impersonating an EMT-Basic! WTF? That seems to be a really popular pastime in New Jersey. Although, I'm not really surprised.

How big a loser do you have to be to impersonate an EMT, especially since they were probably just vollies? Hell, might as well impersonate a nail technician. At least then you could make a decent living and have the prestige of people thinking you had some real training beyond a month of night school, not to mention a skill that people actually value.

One of our local hospitals actually hired a guy as an RN and failed to check his credentials. This guy worked in the ER for 14 months as an RN before a "routine audit" (is 14 months routine?) of credentials exposed the fact that he had never taken the NCLEX.

So this looser quits the hospital and begins working in a nursing home which is in the same town and only a few miles away as what? That’s right an RN! It wasn't long before rumor of his fraudulent status in the ER filtered out to the EMS crews who instantly mentioned to the ER Director the fact this guy was working in the SNF. The ER Director calls the SNF, who confronts this guy who promises "I'll bring my credentials in tomorrow morning"

The next morning this psycho brings not his credentials in, but instead two gallons of gasoline, which he summarily proceeds to pour over his head in the dining room and attempts to light with a match. Fortunately for the SNF the gasoline damaged the striking plate on the matchbook. This prevented him from getting the necessary ignition source that would have secured his place in the next Darwin Awards book and probably have killed or injured a significant portion of the SNF's 160 residents.

Fire and LE shows up, staff struggling with this idiot, quick thinking fire department foamed his ass and the entire dining room. There will be no fire or lunch in there this day! After proper decon the cops hauled this guy of to the "who who farm"

This is but one example of how a fraudulent individual with enough cunning and wit can game the system for an extended period of time. There are a few things we can do to help minimize the risk of acquiring these folks within our ranks:

1) Competent HR folks would be really nice!

2) Thorough background checks (must be very careful until a conditional offer of

employment is made)

3) During background checks require the applicant to provide their ORIGINAL state or

or Federal credential. Do not accept a copy and don't be fooled by a color copy. You

make the "official copy" and initial same as a copy of the original.

3) Actual verification of the applicant’s licensure status and investigation to the greatest

possible extent as to whether the applicant has ever been convicted of misconduct

in any state. It’s very important to ensure they have never been charged with Medicare

or Medicaid fraud.

4) Comprehensive pre-employment competency exam and skills assessment. No, simply

presenting a shiny RN or Paramedic License isn't good enough! This should include

agency specific considerations that, while examining competency, provide latitude

if the specific discipline is new for the applicant.

Finally, at the end of the day there remains a great deal of unknowns with employees however, if you can show good faith in hiring practices you will essentially remain above reproach if a clever criminal invades you organization.

LMAO@impersonating an EMT-Basic! WTF? That seems to be a really popular pastime in New Jersey. Although, I'm not really surprised.

How big a loser do you have to be to impersonate an EMT, especially since they were probably just vollies?

Galls makes a fortune of these guys. They most likely have a $600.00 light bar, strobes on all four corners and a stethoscope hanging from the rear view mirror. Not to mention the " Busting mine to save yours" or " Keep safe, Sleep with an EMT" t-shirt collection. :D

In all seriousness, these losers contribute to the stagnation of EMS as a profession.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.