Can someone say BUSTED!!!!

NYC-EMS

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all seriousness, these losers contribute to the stagnation of EMS as a profession.

Agreed. The fact that so many people are impersonating EMTs and getting away with it is just more concrete proof of how little they know and do. If it were a difficult and comprehensive education, instead of a lame first aid course, it would be a lot more obvious when somebody without the education tried to slip in.

As it stands, an idiot without a patch doesn't really stand out from those idiots with them. We don't expect any of them to really know anything, so how can you tell when one is faking?

Texas publishes their hall of shame in the Texas EMS mag. But it sucks because it just states Violated rule # but then you have to read rule and then still not sure exactly what they did to violate that rule. You do see if warned, suspended, probation, etc.

Thought I saw Dust Devil listed but I'll have to go back and find it. My guess he got busted for bashing basics. :twisted: :D

After looking through the state EMS websites for the Northeast, here's what I got:

http://www.maine.gov/dps/ems/boards/invest...ee/minutes.html (No names, just the sanctions- based on the law violated sometimes you can get an idea of what it was.)

http://www.health.ri.gov/hsr/professions/amb.php (Name and sanction. Only one person's offense identified.)

http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/ems/sanctions.htm (Name and sanction.)

In my experience, those unfortunate souls on the "wall of shame" are there for non-EMS criminal violations that are brought to the DOH's attention. I don't know how other states deal with that.

LMAO@impersonating an EMT-Basic! WTF? That seems to be a really popular pastime in New Jersey. Although, I'm not really surprised.

How big a loser do you have to be to impersonate an EMT, especially since they were probably just vollies? Hell, might as well impersonate a nail technician. At least then you could make a decent living and have the prestige of people thinking you had some real training beyond a month of night school, not to mention a skill that people actually value.

Is it possible that they are EMTs who keep working after their cert expires, and the state law defines that as impersonation?

Is it possible that they are EMTs who keep working after their cert expires, and the state law defines that as impersonation?

Wow, that would suck. I mean, it's not like they didn't get the education. They just refused to give Caesar his due.

However by definition, they are impersonating. If you aren't certified, what else could it be?

One only has to recert every 4 years. How tough a task is that if you want to be a professional? :?

Dust... nice shot at NJ :lol:

However, most of the people on the site who "impersonated EMTs" are trying to work for private transport companies and get caught. Considering the pay for those companies is just about volunteering, my argument holds no water :lol:

Devin

Yeah, but you know, I understand faking an EMT card to get a job. I don't excuse it, and I can't quite fathom failing the EMT-B test multiple times, but I do understand pretending to have an EMT card to try and get a transport position. That's one thing.

It is an entirely DIFFERENT thing to pretend you are an EMT so you can wear a dress uniform of a volunteer squad! I mean, WTF???!!! Can't you just get a nice suit?

Dust... nice shot at NJ :D

However, most of the people on the site who "impersonated EMTs" are trying to work for private transport companies and get caught. Considering the pay for those companies is just about volunteering, my argument holds no water :lol:

Devin

Yeah, but you know, I understand faking an EMT card to get a job. I don't excuse it, and I can't quite fathom failing the EMT-B test multiple times, but I do understand pretending to have an EMT card to try and get a transport position. That's one thing.

It is an entirely DIFFERENT thing to pretend you are an EMT so you can wear a dress uniform of a volunteer squad! I mean, WTF???!!! Can't you just get a nice suit?

The one that I think takes the cake though is the documented case of the EMT running around the house demanding that the parents tell him where they've hidden the drugs and "instructing" the officers to have someone cuffed. Okay, its horrifying, yes, but come on, the thought of a guy with an EMT patch barking orders after watching one too many episodes of "The Shield"? That's just comedy gold.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.