what EMT-Bs should know, outside the textbook

Riblett

I would make sure the trainees are proficient at patient assessments outside of the script. In other words, they can be fluid in gathering the pieces to the puzzle. Also, knowing how to act on that (O2, rapid transport, etc).

As Mobey said, it's also a great lesson to not do things half-way or "good enough". Why do just good enough? Be thorough.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell them to treat your patients like it was your mom,dad,child, etc.....

I would also tell them that it is a big difference from the text book to the street, I ve told a few people I know who were taking EMT class that, and they found out the hard way that most of the book goes out one ear when you hit the street.

I would also tell them that it is a big difference from the text book to the street, I ve told a few people I know who were taking EMT class that, and they found out the hard way that most of the book goes out one ear when you hit the street.
Why? I've found that most of what you do on the street can be very much like the textbook. Main difference is fluidity in order of steps. Sometimes a bit of short-cutting here and there.

Why? I've found that most of what you do on the street can be very much like the textbook. Main difference is fluidity in order of steps. Sometimes a bit of short-cutting here and there.

I noticed a few things, like for example, when doing CPR and "cracking" chest, tahst not mentioned, we had an EMT terrified he did something bad when that happened, nothing in our book states that. And some other things Ive noticed to, but every job is based "hands" on.

Granted, the basics and the theory are all in the textbook.... but I warn my students that in the real world, your patient is never supine in an area where you can reach them.... and if all their symptoms are exactly like the book,.... keep looking....

I agree with mobey's comment that "half-assed" is not good enough. When I start a class of new students, I always ask them "If you or a family member were in an accident, would you want the person attending to you or your family member to be the one who just barely made the bare minimum to get through the class, or the one who excelled?" We discuss it, and they all agree that they would like to get care from the person who excelled.

Then I say "In this class, you have three choices. You can fail, you can barely meet the minimum requirements, or you can excel. It is up to you which one you choose. So, when you are not doing your homework, or are not practicing assessments, think about it - which of the three choices are you?"

Because the course is the basics, and an introduction, some students think it will be a walk in the park, and they can coast through it. Reminding them that the habits you learn in class will follow them after they have left the course is an important lesson.

Tell them over and over that the all you can do is give them BEST treatment that you can, and that what happens from there will happen, because not everyone can be saved.

I wish someone would have told me that before I had my first DOA patient :D even though I knew it was a fact, it still would have been nice to hear it from someone else.

Geesh, all you guys are good. =D> There's not much else left for me to say. I'm sure things have changed somewhat, but sometimes you do have to remind them that classroom and field training are two separate areas that you have to mesh together. Even if you have to explain, "OK, you're done with the class, now throw the books away and we'll learn the other stuff."

"OK, you're done with the class, now throw the books away and learn the other stuff."

Be careful with statements like this. There is a balance....NEVER throw the books out, you will just get sloppy.

It's more like, "OK your done with class, now go apply the books to the street!"

A neighboring ambulance sandwiched a hockey player with spinal trauma face down between 2 longboards, to transport to the hospital so they woulden't have to roll him!! :shock:

That's a good example of throwing the books away!!!

Don't send your students out to the field thinking there is a street way and a book way. There is only one way....Thats the RIGHT WAY!!

Be careful with statements like this. There is a balance....NEVER throw the books out, you will just get sloppy.

It's more like, "OK your done with class, now go apply the books to the street!"

A neighboring ambulance sandwiched a hockey player with spinal trauma face down between 2 longboards, to transport to the hospital so they wouldn't have to roll him!! :shock:

That's a good example of throwing the books away!!!

Don't send your students out to the field thinking there is a street way and a book way. There is only one way....Thats the RIGHT WAY!!

I stand corrected. Balance is a better word than mesh, but I was trying to say the same thing. And what I was meaning about "throwing the books away" I wasn't referring throwing the book information away.

Sorry for the confusion.