BASIC TO MEDIC CLASS

EMT-Medic72

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on a few things. How long it has been since you were a student, study habits, how long you've been an EMT-B (habits and little things that you may have picked up and developed while working)...

It is really up to the individual. I know that personally, pharmacology is kicking my butt right now, but same with everybody; and we all came in as EMT-Bs. Some of us are getting near-perfect scores, some are barely passing, some may have failed out at the last test.

Motivation is another big part as to how easy or hard it will be. If, for whatever reason, you find that you aren't learning stuff in class, you will have to start teaching yourself. Same with if there is something that you don't understand - you can go to your classmates or teacher, but there is always that chance that your classmates will be just as confused, and your teacher will say "look it up," which means pulling out the textbook, going online, or asking around at work or in a hospital.

I did it and I am kicking a$$ :D But... I put everything else in life on hold - I study for 2 hours for every 1 hour of lecture, I make flash cards about everything and essentially work my buns off... I have a very supportive family (in the real way - they take over the chores of living) and the commitment is huge. I think that's true for medic school no matter what.

Good luck.

Just Do It! ( thanks nike) There is no need to delay. Very little value in fact probably no value in delay. You can get your experience in the field as paramedic just as well as if a basic except you actually have the education to actually help somebody.

I did it and I am kicking a$$ :D But... I put everything else in life on hold - I study for 2 hours for every 1 hour of lecture, I make flash cards about everything and essentially work my buns off... I have a very supportive family (in the real way - they take over the chores of living) and the commitment is huge. I think that's true for medic school no matter what.

Good luck.

What Kaisu said....I had a full time job as well! I found it to be the most challenging thing I've ever done...

For me the study time made the difference. 5 hrs/day on every day I didn't have class. 3 hrs plus class on class nights. No Exceptions!

If I had to take an hour to go to my boys Parent/teacher conference, that time came out of my sleep schedule. Nothing was allowed to subtract from my study schedule. Had to work late? slept less, studied the same...You probably get it...

And family, if you have a spouse/kids...Are vital.

Make sure you are completely committed, not simply to finishing, but to excelling! (I think planning to excel actually made it easier, as it forced more rigid schedules, which tend to more regular, which allow you to acclimate (?) to them easier than a hurky jurky schedule put together on the fly).

Good luck. Expect it to be difficult, but remember the pain doesn't last forever...but the benefit does.

Dwayne

I'm an "I" finished it this past july had 5 weeks off and started medic school about to start pharmacology next week after break is done i personally found an advantage by being an "I" first. The first part of medic program was the "I" portion out of 23 students i am only one of 3 "I"s in the class medic school is a huge challenge and commitment everything everybody has told you is true x's a million being an "I" to start enabled me the opportunity to get into the "grove" of school without getting slammed by a bunch of stuff i had heard very little about. The jump from basic to "I" was huge and i had been a basic for 16 yrs and on a medic truck full time for 4 yrs but if you study hard and take it seriously you'll be fine either with the "I" course first or without commitment is key...good luck

How hard is it going striaght from basic to paramedic?? They are looking to do away with the I class so now instead of doing that I have to go to medic!!! fun times huh...help please!

You've gotten some excellent advice here already. You will notice that the two common threads in that advice have been:

• 1. A focus on studying and scholastics

2. Get started immediately.

• That means, screw I school and/or waiting to get more B experience. Both are pointless and not particularly helpful. And the absolute most helpful thing you can do to prepare for ALS classes (whether I or P) is to immediately start getting your college prerequisite courses out of the way, even if your school does not require them. Medic school is SIGNIFICANTLY easier when you have a solid educational foundation to build upon. That means, don't even think about starting medic classes until you have two semester of A&P, microbiology, algebra, intro psych, developmental psych, sociology, and English and communications classes completed. That's two semesters of very intense, full time college. It'll take you a good two years at the rate most idiots go, taking one or two classes a semester. It's time to get serious or get out.

Going to medic is no harder than going to I. In fact, it is usually much easier, because things are taught in a more logical, and linear flow in medic school, where the focus is on a total education. I school is a very fragmented and focused "skills" course that leaves out a great deal of the physiological theory that makes learning easier in the first place. Bad way to go. And again, getting the scientific foundation done first makes even medic school much easier.

Good luck!

I'm in Paramedic school now. Just finished the 1st semester with a 3.58 GPA, which I think isn't too bad :D I am an Enhanced and when this first year is up, I plan on testing out for Intermediate. Then i'll just have 2 more semesters left for Paramedic.

As everyone else has stated, the main things are STUDY, STUDY, STUDY!!!! and FOCUS, FOCUS, FOCUS!!! Put everything else on hold!!!! We were interviewed going into this program and they basically told us that you will have no life other than the paramedic program........they were right!!!

I don't get to clean my house like I used to or go out and do things like I used to do before school B) ......but I know in the end, it will be worth it.

I try to study everyday, sometimes several hours a day. I take alot of notes and find online quizzes to take.

I say go for it! But be prepared, it's alot of work!

GOOD LUCK!!

:twisted:

It'll take you a good two years at the rate most idiots go, taking one or two classes a semester. It's time to get serious or get out.

Hey now I am one of those "idiots" taking a couple classes a semester. :twisted:

1. With a full time job, house work to do, wedding to help plan, etc. that is all I really want to take or load on myself quite yet.

2. I am young and do not need to be in too big of a hurry to rush on to my paramedic, in my opinion. Life is more than about school.

3. $$$$

4. My life my choice.

Be careful how you categorize idiots. :lol: