BASIC TO MEDIC CLASS

EMT-Medic72

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not advise going straight through. I was an EMT for 2 yrs in a BUSY 911 service before applying to medic school. You have to be comfortable as an EMT before you can become a Medic. Not saying that its not possible because people do it all the time. Spend a couple of yrs as an EMT and learn the ropes then get your medic.

I recently went through a B to P class. Even now I am still being evaluated to become a Paramedic in charge or PMIC. My class was over a year long and we did a lot of basic EMT skills just to review. When we took the National Registry Paramedic exam, it seemed heavy on basic skills also. The instructor always said that he wanted us to be good EMT's first. Remember that even as a Paramedic, you won't always have your gear with you or drugs. In those cases your no better use than a basic EMT (not taking anything away from EMT-B's).

Point being, I think that the B to P class is the way to go. I believe that if you go the B to I mode, you don't get as much out of clinicals when you eventually take the I to P class. I see a lot of EMT-I's kind of rolling their eyes at having to do clinicals all over again.

I also make this observation from seeing what my wife had to do in a B to I class she was in and had to drop. And seeing what she is currently doing in her B to P class. B to P class is more in depth with anatomy and physiology, one of the hardest modules statistically.

My two cents.

Good luck either route.

Remember, Paramedics save lives, EMT's save Paramedics.

One more comment or suggestion.

I probably would not have done well at all if I had not recorded most of my classes. I read somewhere that one of the "Ivy League Schools" were giving iPods to their freshmen classes to help them get more from their lectures and this gave me the idea to obtain a recorder for the iPod. The iPods just give you the advantage or having all of your lectures at your finger tips. I have a years lectures on my iPod and now my wife is doing the same. You can do it with a regular recorder, it's just more convenient with the iPod.

Remember, Paramedics save lives, EMT's save Paramedics.

I challenge you to give me ONE example where an EMT "saved" a Paramedic.

Where them being an EMT allowed them to recognize something or to do something that a Paramedic could not have done or would not have recognized.

The basics!!! Alot of times paramedics get focused on their ALS skills and forget about a simple BLS skill. If you are a good medic and like to teach your EMT partner what is actually going on they will see some things that you miss. If you have to ask the question how can an EMT save a paramedic then you haven't been in the field long enough or you have a paragod complex.

The basics!!! Alot of times paramedics get focused on their ALS skills and forget about a simple BLS skill. If you are a good medic and like to teach your EMT partner what is actually going on they will see some things that you miss. If you have to ask the question how can an EMT save a paramedic then you haven't been in the field long enough or you have a paragod complex.

Or he's just a paramedic who never forgot what the basic skills are and when they're needed. Something you have a problem with maybe?

Oh, its plenty widely known, that is why its so frustrating to hear. One of the real stresses of this job is the sheer ignorance of many if not most of the providers in the field. EMS has degenerated into such a mythos that people actually really believe there is something mystical and or magical about BLS training to the point that they imagine it takes you two years or so to perfect, and its only because we allow people to believe there is some challenge to this level of certification that this tale persists. If I seperated out suction skills and I made it a seperate certification, there would be people on here saying "You can't be a paramedic until you have two years behind the suction machine. Suction machines save paramedics. Paramedics forget their suction skills."

So to all you EMT-B's and Trauma techs and certified IV technicians, I say, if you're ready to stop screwing around and do your medic class, I'd keep my mouth shut and my ears open or you will be very unpopular.

If I seperated out suction skills and I made it a seperate certification, there would be people on here saying "You can't be a paramedic until you have two years behind the suction machine. Suction machines save paramedics. Paramedics forget their suction skills."

Oh my god that is hilarious!! :lol:

So true..So true!

I hate it when EMT's say $hit like that, makes me embarrassed to hold the same title.