BASIC TO MEDIC CLASS

EMT-Medic72

I'm going to guess/hope that this is sarcasm. If not this post is a good example of much that is wrong with the current method of EMS education.

I would concur that that post does appear to be loaded with sarcasm. Some might even say dripping.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am currently a basic and going to be starting Medic in a week. I work for a BLS transport service and that has helped to gain confidence in my skills.

I know it's going to be rough with a full-time job, 3 kids and 3/4 time in Medic School. I know it will all pay off in the end though. Working where I do know, will allow me lots of study time during work hours and I have a very supportive and understanding family.

I think you need to make sure that you have the time and want to dedicate to becoming a medic and then the rest is up to you.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

By continuing to work on them during paramedic school. By the time you finish paramedic school, you've had two years of labs, clinicals, and internship, not to mention all the personal time you should have spent on your own practising with your fellow students.

Except there aren't any schools around here that provide you with two years of paramedic education. Most seem to be under a year and during labs you'll get minimal practice with BLS skills, unless maybe you have some patient partners who don't mind practicing that instead of the ALS skill during the alotted practiced time. Then, you'll have time during internship, but your preceptors aren't going to be wanting to guide you through that also. It'd be great if the programs were setup for teaching you BLS skills and on-scene stuff a bit more...

i took the no time to delay attitude.. I'm currently working as a basic for a basic company.. but about 4 months after I got out of basic class I got into medic class.. I have a very supportive family and very few friends but the ones I do have are supportive of my decision to put my life pretty much on hold to persue a career that will make me happy in the end.. I love helping people and have this thing where I gotta learn as much as I can about something I get into.. doesn't matter if it is coffee.. Starbucks was my last job LOL or if it's being a medic.. I love the medical field have wanted to be a doctor since I was about 5 yo.. So I get to be a street doctor.. At least I get the education I need to get me in the right direction of being a great medic. You always learn something new everyday, especially in this field.

I do have the privilege of going to a 2 year college for my medic so I have a lil extra time to do clinicals and study time within that time but it still goes by REALLY fast and at times you doin't think you will be able to learn anymore.. then you go out on a call as a basic or a medic and you realize you really do know your schit

Go for it.. if you really want it you will suceed.. if you doubt yourself too much you will fail, just have faith in yourself and you will do great, faith in yourself is confidence not arrogance.

Riddle me this, Batman....

If Paramedics save lives because EMTs save Paramedics, why is it the EMTs are the ones screaming on the radios for Paramedics when they can't handle something?

(This is not intended towards the good BLS providers on the board.)

Some of the best medics I have had the privilege to work with or teach NEVER worked as a basic. It is not much more than a formality in most cases, to have to be licensed as a basic first. With the scope of practice at this level, I don't much see the use in EMS as much as transport work and maybe first response. I'm not trying to be a sh!t, but it is what it is..all the basic education can and should be incorporated into one program and leave the basic classes for lifeguards and FF first response...probably not a popular stance, just an honest opinion. :wink:

Hey, as someone who is trying to make my way through the circles of hell- I mean finish up my EMT-B certification, largely for the purpose of working as a lifeguard, you've got my support 100%.

Divorcing the medical professionals from the people with a need for an advanced first aid certification would be doing both a huge favor.