Fx pelvis and femur injuries

SAM makes a pelvis splint? Neato frito Bandito. Don't let the brightly colored splinty things fool you. Anyone with a pelvis fracture needs to be at the hospital, like, yesterday, as DocZilla pointed out. I have heard good things about wrapping an unstable pelvis in a sheet, but pick 'em, pack 'em, and fire it up.

Your pelvis can hold a lot of blood and the femoral arteries, not to mention the aorta, transverse the area. Apologize to the patient. Tell them this is going to hurt a lot but they need to be at the hospital or they're going to die. Then roll them, secure them, and drive errr... um.... safely and prudently to the hospital with due regard for traffic safety.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SAM makes a pelvis splint? Neato frito Bandito. Don't let the brightly colored splinty things fool you. Anyone with a pelvis fracture needs to be at the hospital, like, yesterday, as DocZilla pointed out. I have heard good things about wrapping an unstable pelvis in a sheet, but pick 'em, pack 'em, and fire it up.

Your pelvis can hold a lot of blood and the femoral arteries, not to mention the aorta, transverse the area. Apologize to the patient. Tell them this is going to hurt a lot but they need to be at the hospital or they're going to die. Then roll them, secure them, and drive errr... um.... safely and prudently to the hospital with due regard for traffic safety.

Or call for a Helicopter if your area calls for it...... As ours would most certainly....

If you have a pelvic sling or TPOD or something, apply that at the same time as backboarding.

No, simply because rolling someone is necessary in the provision of care. The back must be assessed, the patient must be backboarded, and the pelvis should be wrapped in some sort of sling or pelvic immobilization device. None of these can be accomplished without rolling the patient. It's highly unlikely that rolling them would cause any harm other than the pain of doing it.

'zilla

Give it a chance, it works. Now I might be biased because I worked for the hospital that invented it. They put a lot of study into this and it does work. Unlike sheets you can place this on the board, roll the patient, assess, roll them onto the board and cinch it up. It is made to stop at a certain pressure so it will not over tighten. The placement can be done in twenty-thirty seconds. It's basic, if you break your pelvis you encountered enough force to injure your spine. So the patient is going to get boarded. So why not add one quick step to stabilize the pelvis?

T-POD is kind of cool too. I do not know a whole lot about it though.

Oh and just for the record I do not work at that hospital anymore nor am I in any way getting paid or connected to the SAM Sling. I just think it's a good product.

Yes, I am familiar with the SAM sling, having introduced them to the local ER for their use.

The fact remains the SAM does nothing for the patient with an associated femur fracture. If you don't have the MAST as an option that will limit it's utility for you, but that does not eliminate it as a possibility.

You know what makes for an xlnt pelvic splint? The thigh straps used with the Sager traction splint (I think the Hare splints may have them too). One isn't long enough to fit around the pelvis, so you take two and put them together with their velcro attachments. Try it yourself sometime--put one around your pelvis and you see that's is really easy to put on and keeps the pelvis really secure.

I have a SAM Sling Kit, however.. The plan was, if the crew took the class that was created for its use, like a con-ed class, I'd donate it. They wouldn't take the course b/c "that's what the MAST is for". :evil: Not that its not correct to use the MAST, but a little modern thinking could do a lot of good. According to the guy who took my arm and leg as payment.