Who is the highest level of care?

Freshmeat

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a helicopter is an ambulance. If I have to call one, I call them for a specific patient. They are not going to land, then re-triage. I called you here to take this guy. Load him and leave. the only thing you have to offer is speed. so offer it. I actually had this problem with flight crews from a prominent service in the Houston area. we corrected the problem.

a helicopter is an ambulance. If I have to call one, I call them for a specific patient. They are not going to land, then re-triage. I called you here to take this guy. Load him and leave. the only thing you have to offer is speed. so offer it. I actually had this problem with flight crews from a prominent service in the Houston area. we corrected the problem.

i'll tell you a story about the 'speed' of helicopter evacuations

quite a few years ago now, one ofthe RAFs Red Arrows Aerobatic display team Hawk aircraft crashed not tofar from RAF scampton, it's 'home base' , civvie and RAF fire trucks turn up , as does NHS Ambulance ... senior RAF bod stands NHS Ambi down saying Rescue helicopter will be here soon and will fly the pilot to the District Hospital ...

District hospital at this time doesn't have an on site heli pad ( it does now - right next to the ED )

NHS Ambi crew start driving back to town at normal road speed, as they arrive back in the town they get sent to the rugby club to meet an incoming RAF rescue helicopter with a patient for the District hospital ... the pilot fro mthe downed Hawk...

nope, and I don't have an axe to grind either. They're people, just like us, and have an important function. I know all of their crews. Heck, most of them worked with us, before getting tired of frequent flyers and the grind of our schedule.

Professionalism at its finest. :roll:

So you are a CCEMT-P, or a RN, BSN, CCRN, CEN, CFRN? You know how to administer all the medications carried on most flight services. KCl? CaCl? Vec Or Sux? Your familiar with NICU transfers? You know how to place and maintain chest tubes? You know how to adminster blood?

RRT, EMT-P

HEMS and some interfacility - Paramedic (RSI, central lines - rare, IABP -rare, blood, vent)

Another hospital helicopter service does the intense ICU transports. This is my job for the pension plan which I'll have my 20 years with the retirement system very soon.

Hospital - NICU/PICU Transport (This is the job I love)- all modes of transport- RSI, NO2, N2, HeO2, all ICU drugs including sedation and paralytic maintenance if necessary, UAC/UVC, PAL, needle and surgical cricothyrotomies, femoral IV insertion, needle chest decompression, IOs, nebulized prostacyclin

Chest tube maintenance is part of an RT's job in many places as are IABP, A-lines etc (in Florida)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.