Disrespect from doctors

fiznat

I hate dealing with resident doctors, they think they can say whatever they want, I was admitted a while ago for pain in the kidney area (turned out to be kidney stones) one day i was treated horribly by the resident he told me I can go home because there was nothing more they can do until the appointment to remove the stones came up, well I felt like I was in to much pain to go home, so, I tell him that I feel like i'm in to much pain to go home and he says "If you think this is a hotel then stay if not then go home" all I could think at that time was WTF.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't judge all residents on the action of one. I find the residents in the teaching hospitals here to be a good bunch, very willing to listen and learn, as well as teach.

Those would be the ones that had good teachers. At our teaching hospital the senior RNs and RRTs do the teaching when it comes to bedside manners and fundamental skills like intubation, IVs and A-lines.

I hate dealing with resident doctors, they think they can say whatever they want, I was admitted a while ago for pain in the kidney area (turned out to be kidney stones) one day i was treated horribly by the resident he told me I can go home because there was nothing more they can do until the appointment to remove the stones came up, well I felt like I was in to much pain to go home, so, I tell him that I feel like i'm in to much pain to go home and he says "If you think this is a hotel then stay if not then go home" all I could think at that time was WTF.

Been there, done that. I stopped counting at twelve kidney stones.

I don't know how many ACLS Instructors are here, but you can get a resident doc that comes in with the "I know more than you do, so screw you" attitude. I would just tell them I hope they pass my station, which ever I was testing. I've flunked more docs than nurses or medics. And I wasn't the only they would have that attitude with. You have a nurse that's been on the job for 25+ years that's an Instructor and see how far they get with them. It can be a real wake up call for them.

I'm definitely not saying all "resi" docs are like that, just a few. Most will come in and you can tell they had actually studied and paid attention. Sometimes they are too textbook, but that can be expected with most first time ACLS students.

Amen to that...back those days about doctors doing house calls.

>>As for the Flight Medic hero worship you witnessed Amy, The ED staff does realise most of the interventions were done by the ground crew right? <<

Jake, I don't know what they were thinking...ground crew treated as the taxi people, who can't do anything but basic stuff and transport? I hope not.

A little off-topic from doctors -- I had problem with one hospital where nurses would directly talk to medics instead of EMTs when the patient assessment was done by the EMT. It drove me insane. The fix to the problem: wear my jacket over my uniform to cover my EMT patch...it worked!

You know, I find this thread interesting. EMS providers want to be seen as a profession, but then in a public forum on an EMS blog site is a thread where many voice their displeasure at doctors, and speak highly disparagingly of them.

I ride in the field as a physican, as does 'Zilla, and I assume ERDoc. There are many dedicated physicians that not only respect EMS providers, but spend much of their free time teaching and riding along with EMS providers. Not only do doctors still make house calls, but we understand the challenges faced by EMS providers. Don't paint every doctor with the same brush here.

I have had a few instances where I have showed up in my EMS uniform and received attitude from a receiving hospital that did not realize I was an MD. I did not disrepect those that "gave me 'tude" -- as that would make me just as guilty. I treated them with the respect they should have given me -- and received an apology each time.

I have seen just as many EMS providers bring patients into my ER without giving proper medical care -- and sometimes also with a bad attitude. I treat them with respect as well and try to educate them on their short-falls.

There is no excuse for ANY medical provider to treat a collegue (either subordinate or supervisor) with disrespect -- including in person or in a public blog forum.

EMSDoc 8)

I have had a few instances where I have showed up in my EMS uniform and received attitude from a receiving hospital that did not realize I was an MD.

ROFL! I'd like to see hidden video of that! :D

You know it's funny you never hear a doctor calling down another doctor. And for the most part you rarely hear a nurse call down another nurse.

But holy $hit do EMS personell cut eachother down. From my experience it is very sad the amount of backstabbing, judging, and down right rudeness that goes on in this buisness.

Then to turn on those of higher education :roll:

I have never been treated poorly by an ER doc. however I NEVER give attitude towards nurses, doctors, Paramedics or anyone else in health care. Yes i have seen doctors be very short and direct with me and other staff under high stress situations, but I respond with a calm tone and in the end thank the MD for the opportunity to learn something and all is forgiven.

If you repeatedly have problems with MD's and nursing staff check your own attitude.

ROFL! I'd like to see hidden video of that! :lol:

1. When the critical care truck at our trauma center was new, one of the attendings would ride with the crew (2 medics) before they got the EM resident rider program ready to go. At that time, the crews would often help out in the trauma rooms with cases (before the nurses union put a stop to it).

So one day, a local FD brings in a pretty bad trauma, and the attending riding the CCT (the state EMS medical director, as luck would have it) is taking some pictures of the care in general and one of the injuries in particular. "Hey, no pictures," one of the firefighters says. The doc stop for a minute, then starts again when the FF goes back to his paperwork. "I said. no pictures!" he growls, stepping in front of the doc.

One of the CCT medics jumps in. "Oh hi, perhaps you two haven't met. This is Dr. _______. You'll find his signature in your protocol book." :lol:

2. A few months later, something happened to one of the EM residents wearing an EMS uniform very similar to what happened to EMSDoc, except in this case his report was completely ignored by the triage nurse. With a look of awe, he turned to one of the CCT medics and said, "I never realized until this moment what you guys go through in here."

3. Critical transfer from a community hospital to the trauma center. Like, really critical. Critical enough they decide that waiting for the CCT truck (10-15 minutes) will kill this guy. One of my private ambulance medic coworkers is dropping off a minor illness, and volunteers to take the run. A surgeon from the hospital volunteers to go with him.

Five minutes out from the trauma center, they lose pulses. Airway is already controlled and vented, so the surgeon starts compressions and the medic starts pushing meds. They reach a particularly bad stretch of highway, and the surgeon is now compressing with one hand and holding the grab bar with the other. He looks up at the medic and says, "How the @#$% do you guys do this???" :D

By some miracle, they achieve ROSC and arrive at the trauma center. After finishing his paperwork, the medic comes outside... and finds the surgeon scrubbing blood off the floor of the truck. :shock:

He asked me what drugs were given (as the patient was being worked), on what time frame, why we didn't choose others...etc. But I got the feeling that though he wanted to push me as hard as he could, he was rooting for me at the same time.
I actually appreciate that. In a way, it's saying he sees you worthy of even possibly being able to 'play the game' and it only does me good by toughening me up, reminding me what I don't know, and making me realize what I could know...how good I could be. I do the same with my trainees.

As far the whole topic... man this field more than anything I've done has practiced me in giving quick concise defensive explanations for my actions. Either from management, dispatch, field supervisors, partners, nurses, doctors, especially FFs, you get called on everything. Your only chance to defend (or one-up) is right there on the spot or not at all and everyone around you thinks you screwed up.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.