Disrespect from doctors

fiznat

You have to remember, all docs have to take "Jerk 101" in med school.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took a pt into a hospital in our area. It was rural and we ran BLS trucks on emergency calls. When we took the pt into the hospital and had turned care over to a nurse the Dr. walked in. He req that someone get that ambulance driver(which made me see red) that just brought this pt in. I happened to be with a driver that day so I went outside and calmly told him that the Dr wanted to talk to him, but that I didn't know why. The Dr then proceeded to yell and scream at my partner. All the while my partner stood idly by and took it. When he was done ranting and raving and started to ask questions the driver stated "I have no idea I'm just an ambulance driver." He then yelled some more. When he finally asked to talk to the EMT I walked into the room and he said that I should have known what he meant. I then told him that I could adopt that philosophy and call nurses ass wipers and doctors paper pushers. I mean after all they would know what I meant. This infuriated him more, but I did get my point across and he has never called anyone an ambulance driver again.

It is unprofessional attitudes/actions like this that keep EMS from being seen as part of the medical profession. Keep up the good work. Way to leave your partner hanging in the gallows. If being called a name hurts your feeling/ego then you have found the wrong career. As one of the veteran medics on here once said (though I don't remember who it was to give them proper credit), "Pull up your panties or turn in your card." Way to earn your respect and better your field.

Firedoc, no we don't take Jerk 101. That would be the undergraduate class. We take Jerk 501. Seriously though, most doctors are not jerks. We are type A people and because of that we despise stupidity and incompetence, especially when it comes to the health and wellbeing of our patients. Unfortunetly, the US EMS system, as it is currently set up, breeds stupidity and incompetence. There are some great medics our there that deserve credit, but there are a lot more who shoot for the minimum and don't better themselves.

This argument is easily solved by giving all respect.

I will not take abuse from Doctors, EMT's, bums etc. I will give respect to all though.

If you have a problem talk to me in private do not attack me in public.

Hmm....

~Although my opinion sometimes in certain situations of another medical professional may not be of a high standard, I do value the level of training/education they had obtained to be in position they're currently in. It's just annoying when they don't give you the respect back. Many of us have had other medical care providers treat us with such disregard we saw red. :evil: I feel professionalism is how the situation is handled.

~DO you lower yourself down to the level of the person who(in your opinion) is disrepecting you, or do you complete the task at hand, patient care, and then if necessary, go back in private and explain your actions/lack of? Sometimes the ignorance and comments/attitude of others probably don't warrant any explanation because their ill-temperament basically spelled it out already and it would be a waste of your time and the patients. In most cases though, attempting to obtain and explain information/treatments is the appropriate thing to do.

~NOW, on here we all have our ways of venting and attempting to get other respectable persons' points of view on a matter. Some people can be sarcastic, colorful, or down right rude. I am not saying this is always right, but I feel venting and sharing common frustrations is a typical and quite normal characteristic of human nature.

~Basically, if any other care provider(including myself) needed an explanation as to the care provided, give it to them! Just handle it in a professional manner. 8)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.