Disrespect from doctors

fiznat

Allot of mud throwing from both sides. Sometimes it is hard to appreciate the other side when all you know is your little part of the world. I agree that EMS exposure is a great thing for Nurses. In addition, with the aging population, we will only see more SNF and LTC patients in our practice and agree that a paramedic could benefit from this experience. I think the benefit would both be from an understanding of the nurses job and educational perspective. You see many kinds of modalities at these facilities. Wound care devices, invasive feeding devices, and CPAP/BIPAP devices to think of a few. In addition, these facilities are target rich in terms of different diseases and medications. This is a great area to appreciate the pulse of an A-fib patient, assess heart tone abnormalities, and see patients with chronic conditions.

Take care,

chbare.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last time I got hassle from a Doc, I just gave him the thousand yard stare and walked off. He wouldn't look me in the face for the rest of the day. The nurses later told me he new he has pissed me off.

Other lines I have used are; fair enough but you were not there

Id rather be called a fool by you than the coroner,

I appreciate your point -about not cutting umbilical cords- but Im not about to carry a mother down a flight of stone steps covered in sheet ice, whilst the baby is still attached.

Or when I alerted the hospital to an agitated head injury patient who had fallen down a flight of stairs, I was told by the nurse, well maybe you should take the collar and board off then! A simple "thats not an option right now" did the job.

Luckely we generally hve a pretty good relationship with the staff at my usual hospital. In fact after a particularly serious patient I often ask if there might be anything I can do better, and most of the time the Docs are happy to help and advise.

But we are health care professional and expect to be treated as such;

Iv'e hot my self all worked up now :lol:

Agreed, but Nurses, Doctors, Medics......there is a few in every bunch.

Treat every doctor you encounter like a moody & hormonal woman......but there will still be times when you walk away scratching your head wondering what you did to deserve the comments made.

That is a really stupid and ignorant thing to say to put it mildly.

OP,

low sats are common in sz pt. Think about it. You have uncoordinated muscle contraction with tonic clonic sz. How can you expect to have coordinated respiration? BVM for any pt sz for more than two minutes. Hot pt's post sz also normal. Like you said tonic clonic activity is very labour intensive. Hence the occasional hypoglycemia after prolonged sz activity as well. Sz= huge metabolic demand. That being said I would expect the temp to return to normal after being sz free for half an hour +, as you said as well. Of course we all know that hyperthermia can induce sz even in adults. So the question is whether it is the cuase or the result. Perhaps a pneumonia? Just speculating.

The drug admin was absolutely appropriate. It is SOP. This Doc may have made the same mistake Asys did. Then he felt like an a$$ so had to administer flumazanil (sp?) to save face. Once that didnt change the pts cond't it should have been clear to everyone that of course your benzo was not the cause of any of the pts symptoms.

Dust, why didnt they just administer the guy narcan? Narcotics overdose are really no big deal as long as resps are supported.

Anyhoo, it is important to remeber that many dr's are the guys that couldnt get into vet school...and that even the guy at the bottom of his class is still a dr.

Dust, why didnt they just administer the guy narcan? Narcotics overdose are really no big deal as long as resps are supported.

We were in the process of taking the guy to surgery anyhow at the time, which is why it happened. I was pushing Fentanyl, and the surgeon told me to just hurry up and slam it so we could go. We thought the chief nurse (who drew it up) had said it was 50mcg. It was 250mcg. :oops: The patient was missing most of one leg, and part of the other, as well as various other holes in his torso. So he was going to get anaesthetised and intubated in the next few minutes anyhow. They just would have preferred to do it in the OR, rather than the ER. After it was all said and done, everybody agreed the patient should thank me for going ahead and getting it over with (the analgesia/sedation), as he was obviously in horrible pain.

Anyhoo, it is important to remeber that many dr's are the guys that couldnt get into vet school...and that even the guy at the bottom of his class is still a dr.

LOL... also remember that a good many physicians have been house-bound nerds for the first twenty-five years of their lives, resulting in extremely low social skillz. They're not used to being wrong. And they're also not used to somebody kicking their arse when they smart off like that, as would happen in the real world.

Two techniques that have been used with varying degrees of success:

1. Just as many agencies have forms printed up to hand out to medical professionals who offer assistance on scenes, some also have a form printed up to hand out to medical professionals at facilities who initiate conflict regarding patient care. It explains that you are operating under protocols written, reviewed, and established by a physicians advisory group, and that if they have any problems with that care, they should call your medical director at a number provided, rather than being confrontational with you. You can just smirk and say, "Here's your sign" as you hand it to them. :D

2. You can wait until nobody else is around, then corner the offending party and tell them, "If you EVER speak to me like that again, I will kill you, your family, and your F'ing dog." Then calmly walk away.

You can wait until nobody else is around, then corner the offending party and tell them, "If you EVER speak to me like that again, I will kill you, your family, and your F'ing dog." Then calmly walk away.

:shock: LOL

LOL... also remember that a good many physicians have been house-bound nerds for the first twenty-five years of their lives, resulting in extremely low social skillz. They're not used to being wrong. And they're also not used to somebody kicking their arse when they smart off like that, as would happen in the real world.
lolz @ THAT! (No offense ERDoc & Doczilla . . . but we all know that type)

Thats where I always mess up I respond in front of everybody. Surprised I still am allowed in the ER. But then again my medical director always backed me.
If I do it in public, I like to make offending party just feel stupid for speaking to me that way rather than being wrong. People will accept that someone's wrong sometimes, but they remember when you act like an asshole to the poor EMT :D

You called this person a doctor....Was it an attending or a resident? There is a big difference. First no ER should give Romazicon for 5mg IM. An uncontrolled seizure should buy a tube anyway to get them through CT. If it's negative ween off the tube. If it's a resident you have a problem with ask him if he plans on being an ER MD. Either way next time you see the doc hand him copy of your protocals and tell him to study.

You called this person a doctor....Was it an attending or a resident? There is a big difference. First no ER should give Romazicon for 5mg IM. An uncontrolled seizure should buy a tube anyway to get them through CT. If it's negative ween off the tube. If it's a resident you have a problem with ask him if he plans on being an ER MD. Either way next time you see the doc hand him copy of your protocals and tell him to study.

Attending or resident does not matter, disrespect is disrespect. I will not tolerate it. If you have a problem with my care take it up with me in private.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.