Disrespect from doctors

fiznat

I've not been chewed out by docs so much, but by nurses, oh yeah! And again, for following my protocols.

After being repeatedly chastized by the same nurse for treating patients according to my protocols, I went back to base, photocopied my protocol that I had followed (for which this particular nurse was giving me hell), went back to the ER and stuck it under her nose, in front of her nursing colleagues, and said "READ IT! Now tell me that what I did for my last patient was wrong!"

Not only did her face turn a bright red, it looked like she was about to cry!

That's what she gets for making ME want to cry in front of my patient!!

Payback's a bitch, what else can I say??

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too often Hospital staff is ignorant as to what medics are capable of doing in the field. Although specific hospital staff may not agree with the treatment rendered by the medic, another one of their great minds (the medical director) wrote a set of protocols for universal use on patients. To earn the respect of Hospital staff we interact with it is our job to teach them what we are capable of. Nobody else will teach them for us. Our professional encounters with them should always be learning ones for them. When they understand what is being done and why they are sure to have more respect for the medic.

As for the doctor who gave you a piece of his mind......He sounds like he must have had other problems. When he was ready to blame something on you and disrespect you in front of other adults and professional colleagues he stepped over the line. I guarantee you that if you pulled him aside after he was done with the patient and flat out told him "Hey, Do no ever disrespect me like that again, if there is a problem you can address it with me privately” that he will give you the respect you deserve. When people know you are strong enough to stand up for yourself they will respect you. That guy might be a doctor but he is not God.

From my experience I do not believe 5 mg IM for a seizure patient who weighed over 180 pounds and was already on benzos was getting tubed because of your treatment. 5 mg is in the protocol for a reason, your medical director knows it is a standard dose for someone in a seizure.

That really is a big problem, though...ER knowing what medics/EMTs can do and medics/EMTs knowing how nursing homes or ERs work. Some cross-education on scopes of each others' fields would be nice...

The RN program at our local university now has instituted a 2 shift ride a long with EMS into their program. Alot of the student nurses come away with the comment " I had no idea you guys were allowed to do this stuff".

Definitely a step forward in my opinion.

I find it an absolute shame that medics don't have to do a placement in a nursing home. You wouldn't see half the crap being spouted about nurses at those places if they actually knew what the job involved.
What do you mean? Spouted at nurses from EMS? Not disrespecting the job at all...it's stuff I just couldn't do...but whenever I've seen stuff 'said' to nursing home personnel, it's basic life-threatening ABC's stuff....like not doing CPR, NRB @ 2 lpm, not having meds/medical hx for us even though we ask for it to be ready everytime. Not exactly crazy requests..

It seems to me, the original poster had a "Dr. (Major) Frank Burns", from the 4077th MASH unit, who, when anything went wrong, would always blame others, and if the patient died, would declare it to be "God's will."

There, unfortunately, will be those doctors and nurses, who never take the time to learn the protocols used by the EMTs and Paramedics.

There's also those who will argue on your usage of these protocols, which even you disagree with, but until the local DoH changes the rules and regs, you will continue to use the protocols. Their mistake is to argue it in front of the patients and their families.

What do you mean? Spouted at nurses from EMS? Not disrespecting the job at all...it's stuff I just couldn't do...but whenever I've seen stuff 'said' to nursing home personnel, it's basic life-threatening ABC's stuff....like not doing CPR, NRB @ 2 lpm, not having meds/medical hx for us even though we ask for it to be ready everytime. Not exactly crazy requests..

I'm referring more to comments like complaining that nurses don't know in depth medical info off the top of their head about the pt. They could have 30+ people under their care. That kind of thing

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.