What is considered high-flow O2?

AnthonyM83

Sometimes when I am delivering a nebulizer treatment with a mask, I use the 6 inch tubing that comes in the package (for use with the mouth piece) to insert in the holes on the side of the mask and make a pseudo high flow(entraining air from the outside), slightly "higher" FiO2 device. This works better in pediatrics because their minute volume is lower so the entrainment will be less and FiO2 higher. Then we try to joke about their "horns" or "tusks".

This is also where the Demand Value can be handy if you have the mouth piece adapter.

Trivia question:

How much FiO2 is your BVM delivering if the reservoir is not attached? (excluding contained flow bags)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I once tried on an NRB and found that if I had a perfect mask seal, was breathing at a fast rate, and had the O2 turned out up to 12 LPM, the amount of oxygen flowing into the mask was not enough. I imagine that sucking the bag dry (feels like you're gonna suffocate) would be frightening to someone having severe SOB, so I now always turn up the mask to the highest setting. (Granted, I'm tall, so I may have a bigger lung capacity than most people.)

I once tried on an NRB and found that if I had a perfect mask seal, was breathing at a fast rate, and had the O2 turned out up to 12 LPM, the amount of oxygen flowing into the mask was not enough. I imagine that sucking the bag dry (feels like you're gonna suffocate) would be frightening to someone having severe SOB, so I now always turn up the mask to the highest setting. (Granted, I'm tall, so I may have a bigger lung capacity than most people.)

If you really want perspective try breathing thru an ET tube some time.

Peace,

Marty

The hospital where I work started using a high flow nasal cannula for certain COPD patients and the flow rates can be considerably higher than 6 LPM. The oxygen is of course humidified and is often blended with medical air and as dust eluded to is titrated to the desired FiO2. This is further backed up with ABG;s, SPO2 and good reassessment to determine the patients clinical condition instead of relying solely on the gadgets.

Trivia question:

How much FiO2 is your BVM delivering if the reservoir is not attached? (excluding contained flow bags)

:shock: Great question! I remember doing that experiment in RT school over twenty-five years ago, but I sure can't remember the exact number. Without Googling, I can narrow it down from memory to something between 40 to 60 percent. It fluctuated with variations in the rate and sqeeze tecnhique.

Did anyone get to have the fun experiment of exploding the reservoir on an NRB? We took one out in the parking lot, hooked er up, block off outlets and BANG! It set off most of our car alarms. Great fun! If your a student, see if your teacher will let you do it...say pretty please may I? Just once? I bet they let you cause they know its good fun too. Who doesnt like a good explosion?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.