What is considered high-flow O2?

AnthonyM83

I found an EMT school handout lying around the station that described high flow O2 as 8lpm by nasal cannula or 12lpm by mask but often written as 10-15 lpm because many O2 regulators settings go from 8 to 10 to 15.

Is this definition and explanation consistent with what everyone else learned?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a chance. What I learned was 1-6LPM for nasal cannula, 6-10LPM for simple masks [which, ironically, seems to be in common use and mislabeled as a NRB (ex: not all of the vents on the mask are covered with a valve, or I'm missing something here)], and 10-15LPM for a NRB.

Not a chance. What I learned was 1-6LPM for nasal cannula, 6-10LPM for simple masks [which, ironically, seems to be in common use and mislabeled as a NRB (ex: not all of the vents on the mask are covered with a valve, or I'm missing something here)], and 10-15LPM for a NRB.
Why would it take less O2 with a simple mask to be considered high flow? It seems counterintuitive (you don't have the reserve of pure O2, wouldn't you want to keep small O2 mask constantly flowing with O2?).

The entire concept of defining therapeutic parameters by such nebulous terms as "high flow" and "low flow" is asinine. We should be hiding our faces in shame that this even exists in our so-called profession.

Do you administer any other drugs simply on "high" or "low" dosage? Do you report your patient's BP as just high or low? What about their BGL? Do you just tell the doctor, "it's high," and leave it at that? Heartrate?

Unless you are ventilating, "flow" is an almost completely irrelevant factor in oxygen therapy. It matters with a mask, because below a certain flow rate, CO[sub:3cf7eeec25]2[/sub:3cf7eeec25] has a potential to build up. It matters with a Venturi mask because it takes a very specific flow rate to function accurately. And it matters with a nasal cannula because, above a certain rate you will blow your patient's nose off their face. But none of those considerations are addressed by simply defining your flow as high or low.

It's all about the fIO[sub:3cf7eeec25]2[/sub:3cf7eeec25]. That's the difference between a technician and a professional.

I just flow enough to keep the bag filled.. ten should be enough. It's not like turning it up any higher is going to force more oxygen into them.

2-6 Nasal

8- Neb

10-12 NRB

12-15 anything nasty on a NRB

15- BVM

Our portable regulators only go up to 15... anything else is either on board or DISS via demand valve.

..and after 22LPM, the Nasal Cannula pops off the regulator.

I just flow enough to keep the bag filled.. ten should be enough. It's not like turning it up any higher is going to force more oxygen into them.

You have bags on your nasal cannulae? :shock:

We apologize. Our database is currently experiencing a temporary problem that usually resolves itself in 30 seconds. Please check back again soon.

:evil:

No.. I meant a nrb..

The nasal cannula comment was just a generalization.

You have bags on your nasal cannulae? :shock:

I can't find it online, but I do remember seeing nasal cannulas with a little bag right under the prongs that were meant to reduce the amount of room air inspired. They weren't used for every patient, but I do remember seeing a handful of patients using them in the hospital. I'll see if I can find a web page for them later today.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.