Tattoo question

First of all Dustdevil, thank you for the insults which are by no means any less of a true reflection of "your" character.

Second, while I appreciate the time you took for "your" extremely opinionated post, it is nothing more than just that.

Third, if you had taken the time to not let "your" characteristic behavior get in the way of your attention span, you would have noticed my initial statement (complete with typo') was meant to be humorous.

You should really try to lighten up just a bit and refrain from using words such as "stupid" and "spellcheck". It would make the forum that much more of a pleasant place.

One of the hallmarks of mental illness is that the victim honestly believes that he is no different from everybody else. That's why they fail those psych tests that seem so obvious to sane people.

Maybe half of those with tattoos would truly like to say that, but I don't see many normal people saying any such thing. And EMT City certainly isn't known to be a place where people hold back their true feelings. You're pep-talking yourself, but you're not selling anybody else. And you are completely wrong on all counts.

I suspect you would agree that if an old fat man with a beard dressed as a woman were to be the medic sent to care for you, you would be wary of his professionalism. Unless you disagree, then you are accepting the fact that image is important. And if you accept that fact, then you have to accept the fact that ink sends a negative message to a very high percentage of the population, and is therefore a valid concern for them, for you, and for your agency. Like it or not, that's how it is.

And, of course, body art simply displays poor judgment. Many of us would prefer to not have people with poor judgment taking our lives in their hands. I doubt that you would.

Then there is the simple fact that one can be seriously ill or injured, yet still remain completely aware of his surroundings, as well as lucid enough to be cognizant of their implications. This is the most fatal flaw in your stupid statement above. If you fail to recognise it, then you are in serious denial, or a major, low-time rookie.

And you believed them? ROFL!!! Then you probably believe that 'size doesn't matter' and 'the cheque is in the mail' too. :lol:

Here's what your tattoo says to them, and most everybody else...

Attention_Whore_by_CatONineTails.jpg

Oh, and SpellCheck is your friend. Those who cannot spell "tattoo" probably shouldn't get one.

lol nice tattoo.

• 2 years later...

I just got my basic. Have applied at as many places as possible ( rural area ) and am having trouble finding work. I've got sleeves, given I was in the Army (infantry) where it's pretty much accepted, or overlooked. I joined at 17, so I never really gave the thought of it being a issue in civilian life. Whereas nowadays, people look at me like i'ma piece of shit. . . even though i'm actually the nicest guy ever. I guess it all depends on the person, But I am definetly wearing longsleeves from here on out regarding interviews. And I wouldn't mind wearing longsleeves at work, even though it may get hot. I still can't get over the fact that i'ma shitbag if I have tattoos, and when people find out I was in the Army it's "okay", even " cool ". Point blank, I got them for me, not the Army. But am feeling the after effects of getting them done, atleast where it's visable, given i've got most of my torso done, I should have left it at that.

I still can't get over the fact that i'ma shitbag if I have tattoos, and when people find out I was in the Army it's "okay", even " cool ". Point blank, I got them for me, not the Army. But am feeling the after effects of getting them done, atleast where it's visable, given i've got most of my torso done, I should have left it at that.

Hopefully you read the preceding pages and saw that it's not so much a case of people feeling you're a "shitbag", or not a nice guy. Again, it is a case of displaying poor, immature, impulsive judgement. In EMS, you are practising medicine. You're taking human lives into your head and hands. It is natural that people will be uncomfortable if you outwardly show signs of poor judgement when you are coming at them with needles. That doesn't mean they think you're a bad guy. It just means they don't trust your judgement, and since you admit you now regret it, you can't argue that they have a legitimate reason to feel that way.

No offence, but if it actually took being rejected by more than one potential employer for you to figure out that it might be a good idea to wear long sleeves, then your judgement indeed still has a ways to go to reach maturity.

• Like 1

I have a small tattoo on my R posterior midclavicular scapular (did I get that right? LOL) I did it in the early 1970s, before tats were cool, and I never see or think about it unless some woman mentions it. And now that I'm getting older that's too infrequent. If I had a second chance I'd pass on it. What I'd really like to see go by the wayside is the thug look. That flat slightly upturned wide brimmed cap looked good on James Cagney in those 1930 prison movies but on you? Not so much. But tough is in again I suppose. Although it's punk tough - not John Wayne tough.

In any case this thread (folks calling it a "string" are trying too hard to rebel) wouldn't be complete without a mention of this fellow, Marcel Melanson. He's a deputy chief (battalion chief?) with Compton fire here in So Cal. And if I had visible tats I'd carry pictures of him into every interview. If you have them, own them. In the same vein if I was in the human resources department (when did we stop calling it Personnel) I'd figure anyone hiding their tats is also hiding other things. So actually I think agencies with no tat polices are behind where society is. Granny sees full sleeves in the supermarket almost every day so she isn't going to freak when you bare her chest to lay on the 12 leads. Besides (not a values comparison) I never thought I'd see felonious gangbangers being allowed to enlist in the modern military, but that ship sailed too . . .

Tats1.jpg

Tats2.jpg

:)

Plenty of guys in chicago with full tat work ups. Also in the surrounding areas.

Anyone who would not hire someone based on their tattoos is way behind the times.

Well enjoy no paycheck. It's not about what you think its about what the person doing the hiring thinks.

Sorry but regardless of how much more acceptable it is considered it is still not considered part of a professional appearance.

Well enjoy no paycheck. It's not about what you think its about what the person doing the hiring thinks.

Sorry but regardless of how much more acceptable it is considered it is still not considered part of a professional appearance.

I am gainfully employed. Thanks for you concern though! Also I have a tattoo on my deltoid, it's not visible in uniform. I personally don't like the sleeve look, but hey whatever floats your boat. I was informing you of how it works around here. People tatt'ed up here still get pay checks.

:showoff:

Tats1.jpg

Tats2.jpg

smile.gif

thumbsup.gif

I have small tattoos (about 2" maybe) on each forearm. Very beautiful work. No wording, nothing religious, political, etc. I do have full back pieces, chest pieces, and tattoos on my right leg, and tops of my feet. 95% of my ink will be covered by any standard issue uniform. And most of the time my ink is covered by clothing. I never did it for shock value or attention. I see it when I'm naked, and others see it, when I want them too. I cover them most of the time just to keep them protected. The colors are vibrant, and they were not cheap. I wont let the sun damage them! My forearms I have NO problems covering. I had planed on wearing long sleeves, even in the summer to protect my skin in general. I have some very nice quality undershirts, and long sleeve shirts that keep me cool on the hottest of days, and warmer in the winter. I am NOT at all worried about getting a job or not getting a job because of my ink (what little can be seen).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.