Tattoo question

*gives a big sigh of relief*

According to JP's chart, my tattoo is in the 'socially acceptable rebellious tattoo zone'!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

On to the topic at hand....

First off, you have to remember that it's the 'company' that decides what image it wants to put out for the public to see, not you.

Every company that I've worked for in a professional capacity has had a 'dress code' that specifically deals with visible tattoos. If you've got 'em and they can be covered, that's good. If they can't....well you probably won't get a job with that company, and IF you do; it's probably not the position you wanted, or you won't be let out of the back room to deal with the customers.

Human Resources have denied jobs to very qualified applicants because they showed up in a tank top, 'fringed out' shorts and Reebok’s that look like they've just come in from 100,000 miles of dirt road. They've also turned prospective applicants away because their 'resume' looks like it was written by a third grader.

With that in mind, how can you REALLY expect to be taken as a 'professional', if you make the Human Resource Director wonder if your parents were a comic book and Pinhead? (Yes, I brought up body piercings. For some odd reason, tattoos and body piercings seem to go hand in hand for a lot of the younger generation.)

I’m as ‘liberal minded’ as the next guy. I don’t care if you live with mom and dad, and have spent every paycheck since 1992 on tattoos and piercings. I don’t care if you’ve got a tattoo of a bottle of Tabasco Sauce on your thigh, and your whole back looks like a giant bag of Frito’s. I don’t care that you’ve spent $2,500.00 on stainless steel to ‘frame’ your tattoos. I don’t even care if you’ve got a tattoo of a Big Mac on your ass!

But let’s be serious for a moment. The population we’re going to be dealing a good portion of the time is going to be the geriatric crowd. They’ve got their own opinions of tattoos, and while your ‘body art’ may be ‘hella cool’ around the local sports bar or strip club, you’re not going to be inspiring a great deal of faith and trust from your patients.

tattoos1d.png

Brand new background on my computer. I LOVE IT!

If it came down to it, I wouldn't hesitate to have the tattoos on my forearms removed. I love my tattoos, but they are not more important than ANYTHING else in my life. However, I would have to see first hand, and by personal experience, that they were the only reason why I did not get hired.

I have also taken many steps into having a professional appearance in all aspects. Everything I do, I ask myself, could this affect me becoming a Paramedic? I took off the smart ass bumper sticker on my truck. I killed off my Myspace. I locked down my Facebook, and dropped anyone that wasn't friend or family. Dropped the stupid clubs and games on there. I had my (very) long hair cut, and am having the red taken out so that I can have a softer, "more natural" look. Every class I take, I make sure I stand out, and my teacher knows my name. Just on the off chance I may need them for any reason on a resume or as a reference. I have the card of a professional resume writter in my wallet, and I will be buying some nice pant suits for interviews next year. Even when I am driving I am way more aware of my speed and how I drive just because I know that any ticket will count against me.

*edited to fix errors

Edited by Lisa O
  • Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.