Tattoo question

I have one tattoo, and thinking about a second one. Mine are/will be in places that will be hidden by even short sleeved uniform shirts or t-shirts.

Although the younger members of our society think that tattoos are completely acceptable forms of expression, the geriatric portion of our patients still view tattoos as symbols of rebellion usually associated with the biker crowd (like the Hells Angels).

Knowing this mindset of the geriatric crowd, I avoided this 'discomfort zone' for them by making sure that my tattoos were 'coverable'.

As Doczilla said, alot of services tend to follow some form of 'military standards' for their dress code. Also, it won't make you any less of an EMT (regardless of license level), but the general public WILL view you as 'questionable' in your skills and your professionalism.

To many people, they still suggest many of the things that make tattoos attractive: a sense of counterculture, a frowning on societal norms, and an independence for those who don't quite "fit in". That's part of what makes a tattoo "cool".

Yeah, the whole concept just cracks me up.

"Hey, I think I'll show my non-conformist individuality by getting a tattoo... like everybody else!" :P

• Stephen Franzoi, a social psychologist who studies physical attractiveness and body esteem at Marquette University, agrees that young adults now view bod-mod as a mainstream form of self-expression. But savor the paradox: "Interestingly enough," he points out, "the desire to express your own unique qualities, is, in one sense, an act of conformity. It's a social norm that an increasing number of young adults are conforming to."

The paradox of rebelling-while-conforming is a hoary notion, he adds, that also surfaced in the long-haired 1960s.

But long hair can be sheared. Tattoos and pierces are, if not permanent, certainly harder to undo. Could today's flights of self-expression become an albatross in tomorrow's job-market? Perhaps, Franzoi warns. "The people who are doing this are looking at the short-term benefit in terms of self-expression... but they aren't taking into consideration some of the long-term negative consequences.... There is a stigma in mainstream culture against elaborate tattoos, and there will be discrimination in job hiring. It's the same with body pierces, if they are very noticeable and elaborate, people might not be hired for certain jobs."

• Tattoos are statistically correlated with increased health risks, lower income, lower education, smoking, drinking, substance abuse, promiscuity, self-destructive behaviour, low self esteem, non-conformism and rebellion, an inability to resist peer pressure, psychopathology, and a laundry list of personality disorders. Why would I want to hire this person?

I must agree with dust and the researchers comments...well for "todays" snapshot in time, thing is as tat's have become more and more an accepted practice with the younger/ rebelious crowd, now even higher levels of socioeconomical status have embraced this tat culture ..... so could it maybe a that in the furture those that are not tattoed may become the minority ? If so I am in deep ca ca.

Quite frequently I have noted that the "tats" have cost more than a well needed visit to a dentist ...OMG just what is with that anyway? a teeth-to-tatto ratio ?

Personally my observations of the "run of the mill rebels" you know, the ones with the dolphin, or rose on the calf or the wire around the bicep, somehow this does not now give that individual any more "recognition of individuality" as they are everywhere now.

I have decided to stick to the lick and paste variety myself as "micky mouse" makes me appear so fearsome! but that is just me. I do have enough staples, screws and plates as well, so piercings just don't impress me much, either but titanium rocks...er .... holds me together.

All that said, I can not wrong anyone that wishes to make a statement of support for a "CAUSE" if it is done with some taste and out of respect for a lost friend or such.

cheers

Quite frequently I have noted that the "tats" have cost more than a well needed visit to a dentist ...OMG just what is with that anyway? a teeth-to-tatto ratio ?

Yep. Ever notice how many people say they are "saving up" for a tat? Dude, if you have to save up for it, you can't afford it!

And tattoo removers charge a lot more money than tattoo artists. Coincidence? I think not. Obviously, society places a lot more value on the former than the latter.

But hey... at least Amy's not getting a retarded Star Of Life, Maltese Cross, or FDNY 9/11 tattoo. That's a good sign. 8)

Did you know that tattoos were pagan religious symbols and that God forbade them on his people?(Leviticus 19:28)

Might consider the view of someone higher than those of us here on the site. Personally I want nothing permanently on me because I change my mind way to often.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.