hand cuffed patients

EMS828

Just to be clear, it was 1 light, not all of them.

The lot of Police was because of all the threats made on the suspect. Not for our protection from the suspect. He was actually very calm, allowed us to take vitals and get a decent history. His only concern was the media. As it was said it was high profile. I will say this though, his picture had been in the paper numerous times before and after taking him to the psych center. He also already had a sheet over him but once in the ambulance he took it off. he put it back on when he saw the media standing on our back bumper.

If the media wants to take pictures of a scene, us doing our job etc... fine, but inside the ambulance should be a safe haven for us to treat our patients. We cant let PD or media dictate how we do our job, but if there isn't an imminent life threat we should protect our patients modesty and privacy.

You are 100% right, Dust, I would have been wrong if I had gotten into an accident. This was also a corner I knew well, and checked well before taking the light and thank goodness nothing happened.

P.S. They(P.D.) didn't demand I run the light, they just asked. Only person who would have been to blame if anything happened would have been myself but I was trying to do what I thought was right.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Short and simple, if they are handcuffed then they must be under arrest or and an officer will be in the back with me.

Hand cuffs are NOT an approved restraining device, as this has been demonstrated by litigation's in the past. As well, restraints are to be safe and to prevent harm and damage to the patient, and the device should be able to be removed immediately by the health care provider. Again, if shackles, hand cuffs are used for protective reasons, then they should be under custody of the LEO... period.

Yes, I have transported patients in hand cuffs.. Police officer would be in the back with me or they can transport the patient themselves... easy choice.

R/r 911

I've had several situations where the suspect or person was handcuffed. I told the LEO that they needed to go in the ambulance with me or he'd have to be un cuffed.

This caused a crap storm and in the end I got my way and the leo got to take a ambo ride with me. He was mighty pissed but I told him that I don't have the key to the cuffs and if something happened I was responsible. I told him the same thing, I don't tell you how to arrest someone or "Don't taze me bro someone" so you don't tell me how to run my ambulance.

He was understanding at that.

I don't like to transport patients "in custody" without an officer in the back of the unit. I will do it on occasion, but...

1. The officer must follow my unit to the hospital

and

2. I must have a cuff key in case I need to remove them to provide care

I have my own personal key I keep with me, but I usually just request one from PD and explain the reason I'm doing so - it's typically not an issue...

NYPD LEOs don't like leaving their cuffs on someone when the someone is being transported by FDNY EMS. If the patient is cuffed, either as being under arrest, or in protective custody, a LEO rides the back with patient and EMT.

There are specific times when we can request a LEO to ride along, even when the patient is not cuffed, but I'm not going there at this time.

In the several counties that I covered in Michgan, the handcuff is an acceptable restraint as well, same caveat, as well as MANDATORY law enforcement accompaniment. If the law enforcement officers refuse to accompany the restrained pt, we have the right to refuse the transport of the patient, leaving the officer to transport said pt in his/her cruiser.

We carry heavy duty, soft on one side, leather restraints for the arms and legs. If necessary, the patient would be immobilized on a long board and fully strapped down. That way, we can do our job, and the patient can't hurt us or hurt themselves. I would prefer that handcuffs not be used, b/c they can still flail around, and we can't leave the cot.. So, if they're on a board, we leave them at the ER and we're done. Less room for lawsuits for the restraints causing problems, they would have no more problem than any other patient on a long board.

If the patient truly cannot control themselves because of a medical condition, either way, it would be uncomfortable for them to lay on cuffs, and like I said, we can't leave the cot, so no purpose cuffing them to a rail. IMO, that makes it more difficult to access them, b/c you know they'll be pissed off, and probably won't cooperate with us. If we can make them comfortable and provide a neutral, judgment free environment, I feel that we can get them the help that they need. I know some don't care, but a little respect goes a long way. Then again, it all depends on the patient and what they did, some LEO's will refuse to uncuff the patient even if it does hinder our exam process.

Two words:

Spit Socks. Get them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.