WTF you mean FFs not worth the tax dollars???

akflightmedic

Study: Fire departments have become a financial burden on cities and other urban areas

by

Glendale, CA For the next six weeks Retired Pasadena Police Chief Bruce Philpott will be presenting to the Glendale City Council and the public a new model for Municipal Fire Departments that can make them more cost effective while improving and increasing the services they render.

Philpott and his associates in the fire services throughout California have been working on this model for over 12 years, studying the data, much of which was obtained through the California Public Records Act, to determine the effectiveness of the current model that has been in effect for decades and has not taken into consideration the evolving needs. Emergency Medical Services in Glendale are requested almost 9 times to one for fire suppression needs, yet the emphasis is on firefighters instead of paramedics.

Using the Oral Communications portion of the City Council agenda, Chief Philpott will speak to the issues while using a PowerPoint presentation that will be online at a later time. His model will culminate in a methodology that can save Glendale about $15,000,000 annually when adopted and increase services while reducing response times, which are a critical measure of fire service. If adopted nationally the amount would be billions in savings.

Philpott anticipates considerable disagreement with the new model by the firefighters local and national unions that will be watching the presentation on the City of Glendale website, www.ci.glendale.ca.us/agenda.asp.

............. .............. ...............

Kudos for recognizing this and trying to do something about it.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fire Departments losing EMS will NEVER happen. I am sorry to say that Fire was here first, way back when funeral homes were picking up patients for business. The reason that fire gets all the money over EMS is because, there are not enough lobbyist for EMS. For that reason, Fire will stay strong, its simple politics. This is not my personal view, for I work on a private ambulance and am not on a paid fire dept.. I just know the facts, it would be like trying to take Medicaid away, once you gave in to it - it will be next to impossible to reverse. I know around Missouri, they are cutting funds at Fire Departments because tax payers have found out the ridiculous amount of money they were making. The Fire Department could fall like big tobacco but I believe they are more like Alcohol, everyone knows its wrong but to much political clout.

I don't know if I would go that far but it does have alot to do with lobbist and political support. One of the biggest problems with US EMS is that we don't speak up and educate the public about what we do. We allow the media to create a pseudo-image of EMS and then complain when we don't like it.

I know around Missouri, they are cutting funds at Fire Departments because tax payers have found out the ridiculous amount of money they were making.

When I only make $8.00/hr to fight a fire ( and only get paid when I get toned out), tell Me again about the 'ridiculous amount of money' I'm making!

The best year I've had fighting fire (paywise) was $8,000.00. Thats including 19+ hour fires in there as well.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.