WTF you mean FFs not worth the tax dollars???

akflightmedic

You are right Lone, not every one is making bank. What I am referring to is St. Louis County Fire Departents, who can make anywhere from $50k to $90k a year and many more benefits. They are being looked into by tax payers. I am like you, Lone, $10 a call on volunteer fire department, in other words, I could lose my life for $10.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fire Departments losing EMS will NEVER happen.

Oh, it absolutely will happen. There is no way that fire departments will want to have anything to do with EMS once their people are required to have a two year college diploma in order to work. Firemonkeys love EMS right now because it is something they can punish their rookies with. But once those guys have considerably more education than the fire officers, they won't want them around.

But you miss the point of the article anyhow. This isn't about fire losing EMS. This is about fire losing fire! :lol:

And don't get too caught up in your own hype about "dying for $10 dollars." Despite the daring hero image the fire service wants to portray, they don't even rate in the top ten most dangerous professions in America. And if you took EMS deaths out of the fire service statistics, their rating would drop even lower.

Dust wrote:

Oh, it absolutely will happen. There is no way that fire departments will want to have anything to do with EMS once their people are required to have a two year college diploma in order to work. Firemonkeys love EMS right now because it is something they can punish their rookies with. But once those guys have considerably more education than the fire officers, they won't want them around.

But you miss the point of the article anyhow. This isn't about fire losing EMS. This is about fire losing fire!

And don't get too caught up in your own hype about "dying for $10 dollars." Despite the daring hero image the fire service wants to portray, they don't even rate in the top ten most dangerous professions in America. And if you took EMS deaths out of the fire service statistics, their rating would drop even lower.

Most Paramedics at Fire Departments have went through two years of school, me personally I have an Associates of Applied Science in Paramedic. So, to say "Oh, it absolutely will happen. There is no way that fire departments will want to have anything to do with EMS once their people are required to have a two year college diploma in order to work." is not relevant. You seem to say all Fire Departments do not have Paramedics that have had two years of schooling, when this statement is incorrect.

How exactly is fire going to lose fire? Are you saying there won't be any fire departments anymore? Are there not going to be any need for fireman? This kind of mentality is ridiculous! You may not like the fact that fire is in EMS but there will always be a need for fireman. To try to put down the fire side to say that the EMS side is better really shows the ignorance and strife between the various assests of EMS. It would be like me putting down a flight medic because they make me insecure. Get over it!

And for your information, I am not hyped about losing my life for $10 but it IS a reality. I wasn't trying to puff myself up like your portraying. Just simply stating a fact that is true, that at my volunteer fire department if Iwere killed, it would be for a $10 call. One would hope that if I used my training and safety procedures in place that it won't happen.

Most Paramedics at Fire Departments have went through two years of school, me personally I have an Associates of Applied Science in Paramedic. So, to say "Oh, it absolutely will happen. There is no way that fire departments will want to have anything to do with EMS once their people are required to have a two year college diploma in order to work." is not relevant. You seem to say all Fire Departments do not have Paramedics that have had two years of schooling, when this statement is incorrect.

No. But you seem to say that "most paramedics at fire departments have went through two years of school," which is absolutely false in the United States. You need to get out more. You are the exception, not the rule. Most fire departments of any size simply hire people with zero education or experience and send them to a ninety-day wonder school to be a medic.

How exactly is fire going to lose fire? Are you saying there won't be any fire departments anymore? Are there not going to be any need for fireman? This kind of mentality is ridiculous!

Your entire response is ridiculous. Did you not read the beginning of this thread? I didn't say anything of the sort. It is what the article is about! And until the article comes out for us all to read, I am not making any claims at all.

You may not like the fact that fire is in EMS but there will always be a need for fireman. To try to put down the fire side to say that the EMS side is better really shows the ignorance and strife between the various assests of EMS. It would be like me putting down a flight medic because they make me insecure. Get over it!

Dude, you want to talk about insecurities? You're the one going nutzoid with paranoia over things you imagined I said. Get over it!

And for your information, I am not hyped about losing my life for $10 but it IS a reality. I wasn't trying to puff myself up like your portraying. Just simply stating a fact that is true, that at my volunteer fire department if Iwere killed, it would be for a $10 call. One would hope that if I used my training and safety procedures in place that it won't happen.

So... this community of yours places zero value on you, your life, or the service you provide them. You do it why? Don't get enough of the sirens at your real job? Need an excuse to get away from your family? If they lose you over this silly little hobby of yours, I hope your conscience can rest peacefully in the afterlife.

You are right Lone, not every one is making bank. What I am referring to is St. Louis County Fire Departents, who can make anywhere from $50k to $90k a year and many more benefits. They are being looked into by tax payers. I am like you, Lone, $10 a call on volunteer fire department, in other words, I could lose my life for $10.

While I respect you for giving your time, are you really a volunteer if you are being paid (though not very much)?

Well, I think you are right Dust. I have enjoyed your responses in other posts and you seem to know a lot. I do think you act like a bully on any given subject. I personally think being a Prick another way of saying bully is easy.The best teachers, firefighters, medics that I have ever encountered had humility and will tell you I don't know everything. Sorry, if I wasn't one of the compliant people that can only bow down to your opinion. There are two things I can't stand and that is Apathy and Arrogance. To me you fit in the arrogance category. I don't know of any fire departments that are allowing people to become medics in ninety days, ecspecially in my state with National Registry? That may be true but if it is I haven't heared of it and I do get out. I appreciate heated debate like the next guy and love being the devil's advocate myself because it brings out the passion in people but just to shoot down every thread that is put up, what is the point? BTW I am a firefighter on volunteer basis in my own town because if I don't do it then who will? Its just that simple.

I think you're missing Dust's point. What's more, I think you're just so annoyed that he saying something you don't want to hear that you're immediately applying to "arrogant bully" label. And since it's something you don't want to hear you're trying to change the subject.

BTW I am a firefighter on volunteer basis in my own town because if I don't do it then who will? Its just that simple.

Wait! You said you get paid for it. You get only $10 but that's still being paid. So you're not a volunteer. Not in the eyes of the IRS anyway.

You're right, though, in the sense that if you don't do it, they'll just be forced to fund a fully paid department leaving hobbyists like you on the sideline.

-be safe

firemedic05 There are lots of 60-90 day paramedic programs out there. Most are attended primarily by fire fighters. After the course they still have clinicals. National Registry does not stop these programs, they just collect money from test takers. They actually tend to have high pass rates because what they focus on is passing the joke called national registry. Texas is a national registry state and yes we have some of those short courses available. Using national registry to defend anything is just too funny.

You state you volunteer because otherwise no fire (same argument always used for volly ems). Worst statement yet. If no one volunteered citys/countys would have no choice but to pay for these services and they can afford it regardless of what you think. So sounds as if you are holding back progress.

Am I just bowing to Dust, hell no. I have fought with and disagreed with him before. I am not afraid of hurting feelings. I state it like I see it whether its popular or not.

As far as OP. I bet this is a ploy to stir up fear in the public that they might lose fire protection. All the little old grannies get scared and call their council members and fire gets more money. Any takers on this bet. I will bet all the lint in my wallet and pockets that is what happens.

Its a freaking powerpoint presentation at a city council meeting, jeez. I made a proposal to my city council in high school about the quality of school lunches. C'omon. I understand grass roots efforts and all of that, but really we should be fighting for a national lobby, not hoping that some teensy spark in a single town backed by a single guy will cause widespread change. All the power to him, though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.