Is alcohol (storage/ingestion) tolerated at your station?

vs-eh?

How can any city claim it is all right to consume alcohol beverages and participate in any city activity? As well, the city should not be endorsing alcohol consumption, if they have any sense... geez! R/r 911

Our city actually throws downtown party's around some holidays and has the volly fire dept there selling beer. I can see the lawyers chomping at the bit waiting for something to happen.

As far as policy we as medics do not allow alcohol at the station. Also no drinking for at least 12 hours and if you choose to get plastered at least 24 hours need to pass before getting on duty. Again this is our policy not the citys, they have never issued a policy, other than random drug screens.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a company picnic and dinners, but they are also dry, there are children there. We don't want their mommy or daddy driving them home drunk.

I'm not saying that it shouldn't be dry, but that is pretty bad if you really need to worry about people driving drunk. Anyone involved in the emergency services should be responsible for themselves especially since they are, at times, responsible for others.

A slight twist to this topic although it is in the realm of public safety....in my old police department we had a fridge in the back where we would store confiscated (unopened of course) beer from minors, etc. When we got off shift we could take whatever we wanted for consumption when we got home. So of course you couldn't drink on duty but you could certainly store it there. They trusted that the officer would be reasonable and drink it off duty.

I saw in some posts people were shocked that they might have alcohol at a station for other purposes. I suppose they trust their employees/members. I mean it's not like you have morphine, fentanyl, amyl nitrate, or valium anywhere nearby :D

A slight twist to this topic although it is in the realm of public safety....in my old police department we had a fridge in the back where we would store confiscated (unopened of course) beer from minors, etc. When we got off shift we could take whatever we wanted for consumption when we got home. So of course you couldn't drink on duty but you could certainly store it there. They trusted that the officer would be reasonable and drink it off duty.

I'm surprised that they were actually allowed to consume it later and that the policy wasn't just to dump it.

Our rules were cut and dried. No consumption 24 hours prior to a call. Little room for question or misunderstanding there.

Now word on the street tells me the fire dept fills one of the slot of the pop machines with canned beer for their "training nights" (ambulance and fire are not combined). Judging from their performance on some of the calls I have been on with them, I wouldn't be suprised.

I'm not saying that it shouldn't be dry, but that is pretty bad if you really need to worry about people driving drunk. Anyone involved in the emergency services should be responsible for themselves especially since they are, at times, responsible for others.

We're not worried about it. There is no alcohol. If there were alcohol, anything is a possibility. Not everyone that attends are fire or ems personnel. I know none of the firemen are alcoholics, at least none of the active ones. I cannot comment on any community members.

Peninsula Volunteer Ambulance Corps (1973-1996) was NO alcohol on premises, except authorized social events, and then it was bottled or canned beer. Policy was, No alcohol consumption 12 hours prior to being on duty, and it was enforced.

I had to send a personnel home one time, as he reported for duty drunk, and the corps threw him out.

Now, as for my actual paid employment, under New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation EMS, and after the merger, the FDNY EMS, policy was, and is, no alcohol on department property, even closed container storage. They find a closed 6-pack in the locker, the person is in a heap of trouble, even if it is for consumption after work, and the individual is going into their 3 day "Pass Days" (regular days off, alternating 5 days on, 2 off, 5 more days on, and 3 off).

You don't want to know what they did to the captain (from another house, thank goodness!), in whose desk they found a bottle of Johnny Walker Black.

I have a 7 person van, so I end up being a designated driver. When I am going to be parked for a couple of days, as in vacation, or a convention, I never drink closer than 18 hours before I know I will be behind the wheel again, either a company vehicle, or my POVan. (God help the intox co-worker or friend who throws up in my Venture Van!)

Our rules were cut and dried. No consumption 24 hours prior to a call. Little room for question or misunderstanding there.

There needs to be a limit somewhere. You can't tell me that I can't have a beer with dinner on Tuesday and Wednesday morning at the start of my shift I'm somehow unfit for duty. The rule for pilots is "8 hours, bottle to throttle."

It's a simple matter of science. The body doesn't need 24 hours to eliminate a drink. I understand liability concerns and I share them.

I just understand common sense a lot better.

As we all know, if we get into a motor vehicle crash while in the ambulance, we are automatically at fault because we had to drive with "due regard". I'll then have to automatically take a urine test.

I don't need any alcohol in my system to make me look criminal.

One of the places I ride at has a 24 hour alcohol consumption rule. You are not to drink any alcohol within 24 hours before a shift. I follow that rule strictly and make sure I find coverage if I have a social event ( like my brother's recent wedding).

I wouldn't want to smell beer on my EMT, fire fighter, or police officer just like you wouldn't want to smell tequila on your doctor before a surgery.

just 2 things, 1, I think 24 hours is ridiculous, and 2, NYPD are allowed 2 DRINKS while on duty ( mostly for undercover detectives, but it does not get that specific)

But its okay for them too drink, 2 drinks, on duty, but other personnel can't have it when they are off the clock ?

I'm a large guy, 5'9 275+ 2 beers a few( 4 or more) hours before my shift wont have any affect. I wont even blow a high BAC 30 minutes after the 2 beers. I dont drive drunk or under the influence, nor do i work that way. But don't tell me how to spend my time off the clock.

Someone will definitively sue for there civil rights being violated, for drinking a beer the night before work.

One of the places I ride at has a 24 hour alcohol consumption rule. You are not to drink any alcohol within 24 hours before a shift. I follow that rule strictly and make sure I find coverage if I have a social event ( like my brother's recent wedding).

I wouldn't want to smell beer on my EMT, fire fighter, or police officer just like you wouldn't want to smell tequila on your doctor before a surgery.

Is it your contention that ingested alcohol produces a noticeable oder 24 hours later?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.