BLS before ALS

I am not another basic asking for ALS skills. This is about education and if the ALS providers want to educate BLS providers then why don't they? Let's face it some areas NEED ALS available for their skills, but do we want BLS to call ALS just because or do we want them to know why they are calling them?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is about education and if the ALS providers want to educate BLS providers then why don't they?

Sounds more like your waiting for someone to do it for you

I am not another basic asking for ALS skills. This is about education and if the ALS providers want to educate BLS providers then why don't they? Let's face it some areas NEED ALS available for their skills, but do we want BLS to call ALS just because or do we want them to know why they are calling them?

Where is the dead horse? Because it seems as though he is about to get yet another beating. It's just the way this seems to be headed...

But I digressed, as far as if we want BLS to call ALS "just because" or if we want them to know why they are calling, that goes to education for the answer. Like I suggested earlier. If you go take an anatomy & physiology course, you'll find that you will come to know when and why to request ALS. Without that understanding, in most cases you are shooting in the dark. I can tell you that I get called for an ALS intercept more time when it's not needed than when it is needed. That's just the nature of the current EMT-Basic program. It doesn't really teach enough to allow someone to think critically in the field, nor does it provide them with enough knowledge to make informed decisions about a patient's condition. In fact, the bulk of the EMT-Basic program can be condensed to "Scene safety, BSI, ABC's & call a medic." Keep in mind that most medics spend more time in anatomy & physiology class then the entire duration of the EMT-Basic program. Now with that being said, there are many people that feel that the current paramedic programs are inadequate. So if people feel that way about the paramedic program, how do you think they feel about the current EMT-Basic program? It really is little more than a boy scout's first aid course.

As far as ALS providers being willing to educate a BLS provider. Most of us are willing to do that, and actually attempt to do so. It's not always taking someone from have little to no understanding of a condition to begin with. There's only so much you can do with a poor foundation to build upon.

So I'm assuming that you are one of the EMT's that can tell a paramedic why you called them and be able to explain it on a physiological level to some degree? If you can, then more power to you. But really, I find that to be the exception and not the rule.

Last point, where was the thread again that asked for the EMT-Basic scope of practice to be discussed again?

Shane

NREMT-P

PS - Spell check found no errors in this post.

I am not another basic asking for ALS skills. This is about education and if the ALS providers want to educate BLS providers then why don't they?

Wow... you really don't understand the concept of education, do you?

I don't recall any ALS providers here saying they wanted to educate anybody. In fact, I think it has been pretty unanimously stated that we want to work with people who are already educated so we don't have to educate them.

I am assuming that you went to school in your younger years, so I would expect you to understand by now. When you want education, you go to school. Your teachers went to school. Their teachers before them went to school. What makes you think that you are so special that we suddenly need to break the cycle of education and start "educating" you on the job when there are schools established for that purpose?

If you don't want real education, you're in the wrong field. And you're definitely barking up the wrong message board.

NOT SPELL CHECKED. I paid attention in grammar school.

but do we want BLS to call ALS just because or do we want them to know why they are calling them?

I believe you are on the same side as everyone else on this forum, you are talking about higher education standards at the basic level, however somehow you have turned it into a Paramedic bashing suasion. I agree with what you are saying just not how you are saying it.

We as BLS need to do everything for a reason, unfortunately not all BLS providers do...therefore we end up with impatient paramedics at times. Obviously you have experienced this.

First step towards being taken seriously as a BLS provider: DON'T PI$$ OFF ALS WITH UNNECESSARY INTERCEPTS

Second step: Apply to paramedic school

Third step: Do not point out ALS spelling mistakes

Fourth and most important step: Check your "Better than thou" attitude at the door! There are alot of people to learn from in this community and many intelligent discussions are held, don't try and bring us down to your petty arguments and insults.

And come on Master patient packaging...your embarrassing us :roll:

(Passed spellcheck + 1 for BLS :wink: )

Mobey

Second step: Apply to paramedic school

Mobey

You do not need to apply to paramedic school to be taken seriously as a BLS clinical provider. Simply stated, your responsibility in the grand scope of becoming better involves actively taking steps to improve your skills and abilities at the current level.

To suggest that one must actively want to take their education to the next tier to be "taken seriously" is a silly thought.

Other than that, your post was on pointe.

PRPG

Funny how often we see these "expert" packagers and movers have patients walk from their demolished auto to go lie down on a backboard themselves. Funny how much dust you see on a lot of these experts' KEDs.

Actually, none of that is really funny. It's just sad.

Well (after deleting that pesky last line), is a perfect description of what I've seen fire medics do.

/now return you to your normal "I wanna do more" basic bashing thread.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.