Christian's in the Field

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before I go shopping, I sit down and assemble a list of the items I need. I do this not because I import new information of which I had been ignorant, but because my responses to the events of the day have distracted me from my own agenda. While my need for one or the other commodity may be at the surface of my consciousness (eg, I'm painfully aware that, say, I'm out of milk, or I'm reminded several times a day that I need to pick up a screwdriver to fix the front door), others require a moment of reflective contemplation to recall, organize, prioritize. If I don't collect my (pre-existing but scattered) thoughts, I will unhappily forget some needed purchase when I am at the point of sale.

Valid theory in real life, but does it really apply to our relationship with God? We don't need to make a shopping list for God. If She is aware of our every thought, then She is making that list for us as we go. There is nothing you can say to God in prayer that She has not already heard you thinking. Consequently, it appears to serve no point other than in the mind of the prayer.

Forming desires into words, be the words noisy or silent, concretizes them in the articulator's consciousness. It helps "edit out" vague or transient impulses and focuses attention on lasting goals. I know this sorting - the original meaning of "triage" - has a place in your heart, for you often advise people here to fine-tune their vocational purpose and pursue it methodically.

In this sense, a prayerful petitioner is like a newbie posting a question on a message-board: Careful attention to the form increases legibility.

There is no editing with God. Communications with God is not like posting on EMT City. You cannot methodically compose your thoughts into verbal eloquence, reading and re-reading the content before presenting it, and then push the "submit" button. She does not hear only what you address to Her. She knows not only what you want Her to know, but also what you are not telling Her. She is all-knowing. That is what makes Her God.

As I tried to make clear, a shopper makes a shopping list for himself, or for herself, to take to market (or even, I've heard tell, she makes one for him to take to market). In like manner, the "Proprietor" of the Cosmic Store - an analogy is necessarily limited, which is what distinguishes it from an identification - doesn't march into your home and determine everything that's best for you without your conscious participation and expressing some initiative. The forming of the list is for the petitioner. It is precisely because the Cosmic Storekeeper knows that we do not yet fully know what we want and need that He encourages us to make our lists and then review them before submitting our request. This raises us above the rank of servants.

So after reading everyones responses, the only thing that comes to my mind is HOLY CRAP. :shock:

Yes, pun intended. :twisted:

Like I said before, believe whatever you wish, just don't mix your beliefs into your medicine. Want to say a prayer? Good ahead, good for you, but don't do it in front of me because your beliefs aren't the same as mine. It's more on the level of respect to your fellow peoples.....that's all. :wink:

I agree, Laura Anne.

My religion is a personal thing with me. I say a silent prayer on calls, perhaps if my patient has requested (and yes, there is already a thread on that subject), ect. I am aware that others have different beliefs and I am careful not to enter my beliefs into the mix out of respect for those around me.

I have really never considered my religion in regards to EMS. I keep my faith no different in the field than when I am not on a call and have never felt challenged or indecisive by it. I think that regardless of whatever/whoever a person believes in, morales and ethics remain the same. And while it is difficult to understand why some calls do no have the best outcome, I then turn to my faith for help in acceptance and peace.

This job isn't easy and I am constantly reminded in order to be in this profession is indeed it's own personal blessing in my eyes.

So after reading everyones responses, the only thing that comes to my mind is HOLY CRAP. :shock:

Yes, pun intended. :twisted:

Like I said before, believe whatever you wish, just don't mix your beliefs into your medicine. Want to say a prayer? Good ahead, good for you, but don't do it in front of me because your beliefs aren't the same as mine. It's more on the level of respect to your fellow peoples.....that's all. :wink:

It's called a silent prayer. That said, no one ever said that EMS providers were consistently the sharpest crayon in the box, and if a provider's prayer is any more than 5 seconds with their head bowed and eyes shut, they aren't that sharp.

Dust, quick question. Are you referring to God as "She" due to personal belief, rejection of tradition, or Dogma?

Dust, quick question. Are you referring to God as "She" due to personal belief, rejection of tradition, or Dogma?

Yes. :wink:

Michael, thanks for the references. Now I see where the confusion is coming from. You are referring to the mythical Christian deity. I am referring to the real God.