Christian's in the Field

Sammy

I think I agree with everything said so far. Your faith belongs in every aspect of your life, but not your PTs life. I am not the holy spirit and it is not my job to convict the hearts of man. Definately speak with actions. I pray every time I do CPR. In small measure, I pray that it works this time unlike the millions of other times the dude died nomatter what we did, but I also discuss things with god as I go along. I ask him if the person is with him already and I am I just going through the motions- then I smell that he's pooped himself and I accept that I'm pumping on a dead guy.

Find creative solutions to fellowship, you'll have to work on some sundays and some easters. Find a bible study in someone's house that meets on weeknights or something. Give up the idea of measuring your dedication by how much time you spend "in the word", I sat there and listened to a girl in bible study once go on and on "correcting" me for not making it a priority to wake up extra early on duty days to read my bible. Morning and night take on new meaning in this field. If I woke up any earlier it would be the previous night. I tape scriptures to my fridge, my notebooks and my backpack so that I have little bits of "bible reading" throughout the day when it's impractical to sit and "meditate on the word" without falling asleep.

And don't ever stop taking care of a patient to pray for them like Laura's partner. That'll get you slapped even by Christian medics. God gave us medicine and training for a reason, and if you can't multitask it pray before and after the call instead.

you can do it, staying on path with your faith while working in EMS is no different than keeping focused while holding any other job.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing that always pisses me off.. God saved his life, but modern medicine killed him.

I keep it in my private life, but I don't think anyone should be preaching and praying in the ambulance next to a patient. Freedom of Religion goes both ways, you also are free to not practice it. A lot of people say to us "God does everything for a reason"...

Well, then he must be one sick son of a b*tch!

Man for me I feel closer to God because of EMS. It can be easy to see Gods path for you, just listen for the tone page. Every time you hear thank you from a pt discharged after you have helped them from a bad mva, or making a sick child smile with a latex glove turned into a rooster you will know that you are still on the right path.

God may tell you to make a latex glove into a balloon for the kids, but the cases of kids choking to death on pieces of these same toys say otherwise. Really, I'm not just being a jerk, this really has happened. I'd suggest making a sock puppet for them but you should see my socks sometime.

Anyway, this field will put anybody's beliefs to the test like no other will. I guess my feelings are, if you are strong in your faith, you shouldn't need that much advice on how to keep it, and if your faith is not that strong, keep it, don't test it.

I am a strict atheist and this job makes me even more so. I was an atheist before I came into EMS and now I'm a card carrying atheist!

The more I do this job, the more I realise that there is no God and if there is He is a vindictive bastard.

I'm not a strong Christian but I have my beliefs. I hold them dear in my heart. I also do not push any of them on my co-workers or patients. I have been asked by patients to pray with them which I happily agreed to do. My job is to make my patient as comfortable as possible. When I come upon a hairy situation I have been known to say a silent prayer while working so that all turns out well.

If it was silent, how was it known, and by whom? Or by Whom?

And if God can hear silent prayers, can he not also read your mind? If so, is there really any point to prayer? If not, is she really God?

if God can hear silent prayers, can he not also read your mind? If so, is there really any point to prayer?

Uh, Brother Devil, silent prayer has no other audience but a mind-reading God. And that's the point of it.

For once I get to say Dust :?s me!

Uh, Brother Devil, silent prayer has no other audience but a mind-reading God. And that's the point of it.

I don't get it. If She can read your mind, and knows your thoughts, wishes, and intentions, then why is saying a prayer necessary? Without necessity, there is no point.