Adult IO's

I would hope ALL ACLS providers would do them since it is now the secondary route recommended choice for administration of med.'s and fluids in cardiac arrest!

R/r 911

I would hope that all ACLS providers are capable of establishing an IV in the patients that would need them instead of relying on a device that buys into the decreasing expectations of providers.

I would hope that all ACLS providers are capable of establishing an IV in the patients that would need them instead of relying on a device that buys into the decreasing expectations of providers.

AZ, I agree that it becomes a crutch for provider's that aren't the best at gettting an IV. But, on the other hand, it is a nice quick option for those that you just absolutely can't get an IV on.

• 1 month later...

Well although i'm just an EMT. I know we use them on adults here, or at least in the city. I havnt seen one used here in the rural setting. Saw a code the other day with one in place. (Edmonton.)

EZ-IO all the way. Forget IV's everybody gets IO. Just kidding but I hope that one day I'm as good as AZCEP and no longer need another option for access. AZCEP you now get 2 attempts on a person thats been down, then supposed to go IO, so even though I've never had to do it I do keep adult IO available. I'm not so proud that if it all goes to hell that I will just keep sticking and digging. I am not trying to start a fight but your statement made it sound as if only poorly skilled providers would ever fall back on IO. Sorry if I read to much into your statement.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.