Adult IO's

No, I'm not that good. I just disagree with dropping expectations to justify another tool.

The EZIO is a good tool, but that is all it is. It has it's place, and I've encountered many wanting to use it instead of other options. The hype surrounding it, and the other devices has been unbelievable. There have been many times it could be attempted, and not be successfully placed. In these situations, after much time has been spent, someone will place a central line with little difficulty.

I'm just not buying into the propaganda is all. :lol:

No, I'm not that good. I just disagree with dropping expectations to justify another tool.

The EZIO is a good tool, but that is all it is. It has it's place, and I've encountered many wanting to use it instead of other options. The hype surrounding it, and the other devices has been unbelievable. There have been many times it could be attempted, and not be successfully placed. In these situations, after much time has been spent, someone will place a central line with little difficulty.

I'm just not buying into the propaganda is all. :lol:

I get you now. I agree don't rush to it. I don't work with lots of different people so don't see all the people jumping to quickly to abandon IV first.

We put the EZ-IO on our trucks about three weeks ago and so far it has been used twice. The medical director was concerned that people would jump to the IO without even looking for a peripheral. We shared his concerns and when we put them in service the training emphasized try a peripheral first (including an EJ) before going to the IO. Both times it was used on an arrest one of which was 2 month old. I was on the adult use and it ran just like a 20g which was better than I expected. The only problem was when we arrived at the ED the staff ignored the IO and as far as they were concerned we didn't have an IV so they wasted a great deal of time trying to get a peripheral before the doc called the code. They never did get a peripheral. I really do hate nurses. Wait--I saw another topic about that.

It really is just another tool that must be used appropriately.

Live long and prosper.

Spock

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.