Critical Care Transport

1EMT-P

What kind of Critical Care Training do you have?  

3 members have voted

1. 1.

• CCEMTP
    • CCP
    • Air Medical

Dude, have you been working as a medic for 11 years or longer??? If not then you have no common frame of reference to make that statement.

There's no talking to you, OH I forgot, you are always right. Forgive me I bow down to the inexplicable wealth of knowledge that you have in your two short years of being a medic. I'll bet that your wealth of experience that you have as a medic is based on a single ems entity. Come back when you've worked for more than one.

And as for my resume

Most of the services I've worked for ran dual medics.

Think what you want. You are the one who needs to learn.

I don't know why I let this guy get under my skin. He's just so easy to get riled up.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

show me where you pimped me? Prove it. I'll recant all my lies if you can prove to me where I have ever lied on this forum?

You are showing your maturity pimped on it wow. I'm at a loss for words. Are you sure you know what pimped means?

Okay a reality check. As a RN, I am quite aware of when I am "covered and not covered" by the scope of practice and as well as liability of hospital insurance. RN magazine a few years ago had an article in regards of "going outside the hospital grounds" on how the nurse is exposing themselves to liability and possible litigation. As well in my state, unless that nurse is a licensed Paramedic or personally licensed in that EMS as a "speciality care" under that service protocol, they are not allowed to perform actions and would be considered practicing medicine without a license.

Yes, if the EMS (ground or air) is associated or owned by a hospital then that nurse maybe covered by their rules and insurance however; if they are not the nurse is acting upon his or her own ability, since the patient technically is no longer a patient of that transferring facility. Again, if the EMS is not associated with his/her agency she is acting upon her own regards and can be considered practicing on her own regards, even if ordered to.

Yes, it is the responsibility of the institution to make sure that the care is equal or above for transport of any patient. That is wonderful rule and if the world was perfect, it would be followed everytime; but in reality it does not happen. This rule even applies for patients going from ER to a CT scan..yet hospitals still allows transport techs to perform tasks and as well allow BLS EMS services to transport critical patients. Ever seen an EMS transport a patient from a hospital in active labor.. same rule applies.

Sorry, I have been an ER manager and a RN/Paramedic for several decades and continue to see violations of EMTALA and COBRA in regards to treatment, transfers and transports all the time. Now, you will not find very many reporting such for many reasons. One of the many reasons is that transferring hospital agencies is owned by the receiving agency. They definitely do not want to create a fine for themselves. As well many small communities do NOT have ALS and they do not want to be labeled as the "bad guy" .. so it continues and take the risks.

Yes, it is "crazy" for it to continue, but it does, as well it seems to be increasing instead of decreasing as corporations own more and regional smaller hospitals, but not involved in those EMS systems. Remember, also if that facility is not able to provide care or procedures they can be responsible (legally and liability) for the costs of transport which they do not want to pay for. Yes, I agree it is a crazy and foolish gamble, but it appears to be one they are willing to take sometimes.

R/r 911

Kumbaya, my Lord, kumbaya!

O Lord, kumbaya!

Someone’s laughing, Lord, kumbaya!

O Lord, kumbaya!

Someone’s crying, Lord, kumbaya!

O Lord, kumbaya!

Someone’s praying, Lord, kumbaya!

O Lord, kumbaya!

Someone’s singing, Lord, kumbaya!

O Lord, kumbaya!

O Lord, kumbaya!

:roll:

Peace,

Marty

"Hospitals do not care, as long as they don't crash"

What the heck kind of statement was that Rid??? I think the question to ask is "What if THEY DO crash" !!!

So if a helicopter is equipt with a nurse and a medic , I think that is for a reason. It is NOT in the scope of any paramedics practice to transport any of the following without a nurse... Balloon pumps, VAD, BiVads.

Rid, that was a reactive, unacceptable statement, not proactive. You don't render less care, in hopes that someone doesn't CRASH! I think we need to re-think the cave statement!!!

Ruff, you are full of it!!

Even giving you the benefit of the doubt of running with a dual medic system (which you probably don't) you still would not be allowed to transport a pt with a balloon pump.

It's amazing how a thread can just go to hell overnight!

Sorry, but I hate it when people come in with assumptions that they know everything about everyone's scope of practice. So admin, bear with me for a moment, but I think clarification is in order...............

FF523 - I have seen a lot of scary things that facilities do. Fortunately, I do not see a high incidence of BLS or non critical care educated ALS units taking IABP's, LVAD's, ECMO's etc......... But, I have also not seen any nurses being involved with an IABP transfer solely for the reasoning of the balloon pumps presence. For one, a Perfusionist is responsible for the pump, not a nurse. I have also performed many IABP transports, by both air and ground, as a Paramedic without the services of a Nurse or a Perfusionist. Only one ever experienced a technical issue (Internal electrical overload causing a complete system failure). Trouble shooting was simple, there was nothing that could be done. The machine's power supply and battery were disconnected and the patient appropriately monitored. So a nurse is not necessarily "the golden standard", ground, air, ship, whatever the mode of transport may be. Despite what your particular experiences and beliefs may be, some Paramedics do operate at an advanced level of practice. Deal with it and stop making accusations that you cannot personal substantiate. Just because it doesn't happen in your world doesn't mean it can be done in ours.

BTW-"Pimped"???????? Not really following you on that one, but I also didn't understand it when my 12 year neice said it either.........................

that was good flight-lp

this did indeed happen to me 11 years ago. I took the patient to the receiving hospital and the patient survived.

Yes indeed, this was not the only time that we transported patients with devices or medications that I or my service should not have transferred but back 11 years ago there was no such thing as a CCEMTP program.

You transported who the hospital said to transfer, to hell with the fact that you might not be trained to operate that equipment or have a good base of knowledge of specific drugs or not.

The other thing is that many many things have changed in the 15 years I've been doing this. I am sure that in 13 years from now, which would if I understood one of Fire's previous post that hes been a medic for 2 years I am sure that in 15 years a lot more will have changed.

I have medic friends who have been medics for over 30 years and the horror stories I heard when I got in the business and they curled my hair. A lot of things have changed, some for the better and some not for the better.

Fire, you and i will continue to disagree and that is fine, that is what makes this forum great.

AS for the liar comment, rubber gloves and d50 syringes at 50 paces.

I am sorry that in your world, Flight, Rid, and Ruff, you are subjected to such poor standards of care. Here in PA, you can't even take a person on heparin on a transport if you are not in-serviced on it. Where I am, fortunately we work in a well oiled system, and it would be unheard of for even a dual medic unit taking a IABP on a ground run. Here also, the "Critial Care Nurse" in Cardiology WILL always go with us in our unit, because He or She is trained specifically in the operation and maintainence of these things. Your idea of the perfusionist where you are is integrated in the scope of practice for them where we are.

A pre req for our flight nurses to be hired here is at least 3 to 5 years as a critical care RN, preferrably in the open heart unit, as well as the NREMT-P cert. I think it is that way for a reason, and that has been that way for MORE THAN 11 measly years. Ruff, your stories are far fetched, I can see right through your inexperience!!! To this day you still could not provide the answers to two critical RX's that I have asked you. Your good friend Google couldn't even help you!!!

Your credibility is nule and void with me, so you can continue to say whatever allows you to sleep good at night, I will still doubt you!!