Critical Care Transport

1EMT-P

What kind of Critical Care Training do you have?  

3 members have voted

1. 1.

• CCEMTP
    • CCP
    • Air Medical

How many of you have taken the CCEMTP course or the CCP course? How many of you do Critical Care Transports?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a common "myth". Critical care courses can be self designated, unless specified by the state or local ordinances.

Even Maryland's CCEMTP is not really named as a Critical Care Paramedic course, it is a critical care emergency medical transport program .. thus CCEMTP recognition not really labeled critical care paramedic.

Medicare has labeled EMS services that provide above the "normal" level as speciality care and those should have additional training and education... thus critical care paramedic. (Basically, anything above medications listed in the DOT Paramedic curriculum). This can ventilator therapy, IV medications, RSI, Neonatal, etc..

Now, there is some other Intensive Care, Critical Care programs for Paramedics being introduced and will be interesting to see what becomes of these.

There is only truly one test that certifies a Paramedic of having critical care knowledge and that is the FP-C examination. Which one does NOT have to have Maryland's course to become one. However, one should have a increased knowledge in critical care (not emergency) subjects.

http://www.certifiedflightparamedic.org/cf...%20handbook.pdf

R/r 911

Ridryder 911 makes some very good points. CCEMTP was part of my flight orientation and I thought it provided a good overview of the CCT environment and also provided a basic foundation of CCT knowledge. I have known misinformed nurses that thought CCEMPT credentials would make them a "critical care paramedic."

Take care,

chbare.

Its funny this subject has come up now, services in my area have kicked the idea of getting our people CC classes for about 5 years now but nobody has done it. Most of our rural area services end up transporting these patients with little knowledge or experience. I am not saying this is right, wrong or indifferent........just that it happens due to lack of managements commitment to have properly trained staff. The most common reason for not sending our providers through this type of training is "too costly", "not required" or lack of willingness to compensate those who go the extra. Sad if you ask me.

Oh if I only had this certification many moons ago. Great program if you ask me. I toyed around with the idea of getting the cert but never got around to it.

I'm sure I could pass it without issue now but when you really don't know that you really don't know, you really don't know.

I've taken some doozy of patients on hour or longer transport that I should have never transported without someone higher certed than me. One example that glaringly jumps out is the patient on a balloon pump. One wrong move without the knowledge of how to repair the connector or assist the patient and wham, instant dead patient. God really did watch over his favorite fool that day.

Ruff, A hospital let you transport a person on a balloon pump without a critical care nurse on board???? They just assumed that you had the training, and you didn't?? You wonder why I question your credibility!! Please tell the truth for once!! Cardiac nurses go through a rigorous 20 some weeks of OJT, in a critical care intership to learn about the things that you just told us was dumped on you, and you decided to transport it on a whim. This is America, and hospitals Do Not do that.

dude you know nothing about me nor my level of training. I don't really care whether or not you believe me or not. You have been antagonistic towards me ever since you started posting. You come out of your hole just to make insults and then you slink back to fight another day. Go troll some other boards.

Plus you have no idea when this happened nor where it happened. It happened nearly 11 years ago and there was no nurse to go with me. You know, things happened back then that would never ever happen now. But they did happen. I am sure that there have been instances in your short EMS career that happened back then but would never happen now.

And Yes, hospitals do this type of stuff all the time. What about high risk ob transports that they send in a bls ambulance - because no nurse is available to go. That stuff happens even to this date. The high risk cardiac patient with many drugs that we as medics are not necessarily trained to monitor - those get transported every day because some jurisdictions or agencies do not have the high educated staff that should go on the call and transfer, but the patient is stuck with a paramedic who hopes to God that nothing goes wrong. This stuff happens all the time. I'll bet that your service has even had some transfers like that. Oh wait, you work for the best most excellently staffed service in the world where every one gets cardioverted no matter if they want it or not, they even get cardioverted if they tell you point blank that they don't want it. But I digress.

again you go on the negative and nasty replies without asking more information. If you would have asked instead of spouting off your mouth like you always have done here, you would have received the above reply, the call was 11 years ago, they gave me a rudimentary inservice and I as a somewhat new medic said "sure I'll take the transfer" and I transported the patient. I also said that "God watched over his favorite fool" so go back to your hole.

So before you jump on the tangent of questioning my credibility Drop it, you can't even answer the question I've posed to you over and over as well as others have posed and have been waiting on your answer. You have not answered the question of your experience level. But then again, I don't expect you to.

This is America, and hospitals Do Not do that.

I don't know what cave you live in, but I have seen cardiac and trauma patients transported by BLS crews with balloon pumps, vents, IV's etc.. Yes, it is scary as hell, but it is done. Fortunately, this was not in my state but I have seen it in several others and it was not that long ago.

Hospitals do not care as long as the patient does not crash, also the moment the nurse leaves hospital ground his/her malpractice insurance from the hospital is voided and in many states their license is neal. Hence the reason for CCP was even developed.

R/r 911

"Hospitals do not care, as long as they don't crash"

What the heck kind of statement was that Rid??? I think the question to ask is "What if THEY DO crash" !!!

So if a helicopter is equipt with a nurse and a medic , I think that is for a reason. It is NOT in the scope of any paramedics practice to transport any of the following without a nurse... Balloon pumps, VAD, BiVads.

Rid, that was a reactive, unacceptable statement, not proactive. You don't render less care, in hopes that someone doesn't CRASH! I think we need to re-think the cave statement!!!

Ruff, you are full of it!!

Even giving you the benefit of the doubt of running with a dual medic system (which you probably don't) you still would not be allowed to transport a pt with a balloon pump.