Hardest part of EMT-B was......?

Breck

Like others, I didn't find much of the EMT-B course difficult. In fact, thinking about it now I don't think any of it was that hard. The class is presented in such a remedial fashion with little to no real content that would provide most people a challenge. The ease of the course and how little is actually taught is part of why we don't get a lot of respect from the medical field. The time spent on your education is roughly that of a CNA and you're making "life and death" decisions. I'm still in favor of seeing the educational level increase across the board for basic's and medic's. But that's another topic that's already being discussed.

Shane

NREMT-P

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The scariest part of class was finding out there were students in their taken the class for the fourth, fifth, seventh time. At what point do you say, "Maybe this is not for me!" I was scared thinking if it takes them this many times to pass the class what are they going to be like on street? The class was all folks who would be running in my county, so I was a little worried. I was worried what would happen if I end up scene with them, knowing how shaky their background was!!

I am all for an increase in education. I wish there had been more.

Sarge

Yeah, staying awake was the hardest part for me. Of course I fell asleep during my last medic refresher too. I ask you, how many times can you listen to the lecture on soft tissue injuries in your career before drifting off?

If the lecture is not fresh or new in some way then I say only like 1 time before it becomes more of a chore than a educational experience.

Ambulance Operations. :oops: I always thought I understood the book and course material very well but then I would do a little worse than anticipated on the state exams. In retrospect I think part of it might have been the way the questions on the state exams were worded. :lol:

Many of my classmates had difficulty remembering all of the details (sequence, etc) of the medical and trauma assessments. The students I helped teach recently seemed to have the same type of problems; They understood and were capable of asking the right questions, etc but worried about stating things out of sequence.

The best advice I can give any EMT student is to take every section seriously and try to completely understand each of the concepts and practices. If you go on to Medic school you will find that much of the material is touched upon again...in some cases repeated almost verbatim. The better you understand the rudiments now the better you will be able to focus on the more advanced stuff...somewhat like the student who finds his high school physics class to pay dividends once he gets in to college.

-Trevor

Many of my classmates had difficulty remembering all of the details (sequence, etc) of the medical and trauma assessments. The students I helped teach recently seemed to have the same type of problems; They understood and were capable of asking the right questions, etc but worried about stating things out of sequence.

-Trevor

this is paramount in the discussion of education. They understand and were capable of asking the right questions but worried about getting them out of sequence. We are teaching students to pass the national registry which I believe truly represents cookbook medicine at its finest.

Every student I've talked to has said that all they want to do is know what questions to ask for the national registry. They dont' really care what the difference between rales and rhonchii are, or what to do for a specific injury other than what registry says.

Is it possbily time to abolish the national registry and start to teach students to think with their heads rather than recite what the registry wants to hear??

I never have been a supporter of the National registry, it always seemed to be a bit of a money maker instead of a national standards setter(bad grammar I know)

Hardest part- figuring out what the instructors were asking for in the modular exams- the National Registry answer or the State Protocol answer, and then remembering which was which.

Easiest part- KED-boarding the busty girls in class. :twisted: :twisted:

I didn't find the class very hard at all. I only read a couple chapters out of the book and just took really good notes in class. I just got my state card and patch with my test results and scored an 88%. I guess the hardest part for me was trying to find time to practice outside of class with High School and stuff it was a challenge.

Basic EMT is just a little more in-depth than a first aid class. That is why enforce memorization work in lieu of understanding the etiology and understanding of the problem. Unfortunately, many medic classes never go any further as well, so the memorization and use memonics.

R/r 911

Hehe - did anyone get the impression i have had some problems with study strategies? :lol:

Not me, but I know exactly why the combination confused you there bushy.....it was the glass of beer you were looking through!

......my bad?

cheers