what was your first call

My first call was a drunk MVA rollover in a ten foot ditch. The fun part was I didn't have a radio myself-my partner had it and she had run home to grab something POV (only about a mile away). The wreck happended at the end of her driveway so she couldn't come get me because she made pt contact immediately. Her dad had to come tell me about the call, then lead me to the scene since I didn't know where on earth it was at. It was in the dark, at night, raining, middle of nowhere, and my guy had a head injury, broken arm, and a set of vocal cords. I won't ever forget that fun.

My first call was actually for this girl i knew. She had gotten her wisdom teeth taken out the night before and was going to the bathroom to take her pain meds. Shes passed out with the glass in her hand and it shattered giving her a nice lac on the hand and she had a nice lac above her eye from hitting the sink on the way down. That was one heck of a way to start in EMS, "Uhh...hi Mr. so-and-so, nice to see you again, may i bandage your daughter's head?" lol.

My first call was to my best freinds house her had a massive MI and that was 17 years ago and i still remember it like it was yesterday.......

We had formed a volunteer First Responder group in a small town about 15 miles from the county seat with an ambulance. We fought hard to be accepted and help the ambulance and always was met by resistance. We had been threatened by the owner of the private ambulance service that if we ever responded, we would be thrown in jail. (Not too sure why, but it got our attention!) One November morning in 1994 I heard the ambulance get paged for a possible code blue in our town.

The big cheese with the ambulance service was not on call that morning and the lead tech asked for us to be paged. Heck, we didn't even have pagers yet for us, just the FD had them. Heard him ask on scanner so I went. Yep, no mask, gloves or nothing and, you know it, a code blue. I was alone and did CPR for the 15-20 minutes it took the ambulance to get there. Then assisted all the way to the hospital. Pt. didn't make it,. The operator of the service showed up and gave me a ride back to our town. Told me, "That's how they end up, the dead ones don't give you any trouble!" I thought, "What a jerk!"

That guy has been gone now almost 7 years and we are now a strong county based fulltime service, since 2000. I came on fulltime in 2002 as just a First Responder, immedicately got my EMT-B then my EMT-I. Anybody ever makes a statement about "The dead ones don't give you any trouble", they will get an attitude adjustment.

My first call was on my way home from church one Sunday. I had just joined my vol. fire. dept. and got paged when I was about 5 min. from the scene. My husband (fiance at the time) was already on scene with another FF when I arrived. Full Arrest!!! Everything went so differently than the AED station for my state test, but we never even got to shock! She was long gone, but I worked her with the ambulance crew all the way to the hospital for almost 20 minutes. It was AWFUL!!! Her family was standing around watching us and crying and begging us to save her. It was sort of rough, but they say there's no place to go with a code but up, so we tried really hard!

a very petite woman who had given blood earlier in the day and decided to attend the local theatre that night and instead of eating dinner had a glass of wine instead- passed out in her seat- my first night as "the medic" and everyone said go for it- O2-IVF's-EKG-transport- very happy to get that first call done!!!

First paid call was a man dieing. Got there obvious signs of death, so nothing to do but secure scene. Also prior to dialing 911 they must have called every family member and friend they had because over 100 people on scene and we were there within 4 minutes of the call. They were fine that we did not start cpr but we received threats when we refused to move the body while waiting for the judge. People got very aggressive and law enforcement retreated leaving us to fend for ourselves. Ambulance was blocked we were trapped. Finally convinced family to talk law enforcement into agreeing to allow us to move body. Crowd calmed down. Still alive after all these years but ambulance is always parked where can leave quickly.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.