How to improve EMS professionalism

Eydawn

How is she NOT going to take that personally? She wasn't the intoxicated one I spoke of earlier. I was done arguing the paid vs. volunteer thing and just had examples to support why I don't think volunteer agencies help in professionalism. I am still waiting for some others to give some good examples where volunteer agencies DO promote professionalism. SSG G-Man was one on my count.

Yes, there are a many a paid EMS person who does not promote professionalism. Myself, I have never said otherwise. I agree with points like attitude,, appearance, knowledge and bedside manner being big point where one can make or break whether one is viewed as a professional.

I think Ohio in their protocols have attempted to close the gap of care with the implementation of true I-99 protocols. I can't say I agree with it (not because of pajamas or flip flops etc), but with the current education requirements. I think that it may be tempting disaster with only 130 hours of training/education, while current paramedic requirements are in the 800 something hours. Ironically, one of the things I would have liked to see more during school was more time spent of the why and cause/effect than just the how. Unfortunately or fortunately depending on your views, this is not the protocols of all agencies. Most privates and large departments do NOT adhere to these protocols because someone in their chain of command or medical control shares a view like mine where they don't feel enough was taught to I's to have them doing certain things. The ones that simply adopt the state protocols are the ones who have lazy leaders, just don't care, or don't know any better. My view only.

I would like to see the education for all levels go up. Paramedic level should be an associates(2 year), make the Intermediate require the length of the current paramedic and the basic cover 130 hours. Use that "extra" time to go more in depth on the cause and effect of illnesses/injuries and the why of treatments. Then discard all the state certifications and National Registry the norm no matter where you are. (OK, that one comes partly from my dealing with the reciprocity issue right now :? ) If I am not mistaken, that was the intent of it's creation anyway. I know that here in Ohio, you take the registry test to get whatever card, but then you receive a state card and never have to do anything with registry again, which in my mind is just laziness.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is she NOT going to take that personally? She wasn't the intoxicated one I spoke of earlier. I was done arguing the paid vs. volunteer thing and just had examples to support why I don't think volunteer agencies help in professionalism. I am still waiting for some others to give some good examples where volunteer agencies DO promote professionalism. SSG G-Man was one on my count..

Dear Exaxray,

I never once stated SHE was the one drinking. IF I did, please show me where. I threw together all the examples of unprofessionalism and never labeled anyone with it. She's taking it personally and she shouldn't. If she does, she'll never last in this field. I am known for my honesty....for being brutally honest sometimes, but none the less, honest.

I would like to see the education for all levels go up. Paramedic level should be an associates(2 year), make the Intermediate require the length of the current paramedic and the basic cover 130 hours. Use that "extra" time to go more in depth on the cause and effect of illnesses/injuries and the why of treatments. Then discard all the state certifications and National Registry the norm no matter where you are. (OK, that one comes partly from my dealing with the reciprocity issue right now :? ) If I am not mistaken, that was the intent of it's creation anyway. I know that here in Ohio, you take the registry test to get whatever card, but then you receive a state card and never have to do anything with registry again, which in my mind is just laziness.

Dear Emaxray,

It's a sad but true statement you just made. Why would they make the students go through all the training if they're not applying it all in the street? It's like the old saying, 'if you don't use it, you'll lose it.' Hopefully within the next 5yrs (ugh, cough,cough) there will be Nat'l Reg in all 50 states, or at least some sort of universal/ US mandated protocols/guidelines. Yes, I am a dreamer..... but hey, dreams DO come true! Keep working at it and don't let off, Emaxray. Push the legislature in your region to acknowledge these issues and make a change!

I'm sorry I have to chime in.

Anyone who arrives on Scene in pajamas and flip flops shouldn't be there.

Volunteers, I've worked with them and I was proud to work with them.

But if you can't take the time to have proper attire then you shouldn't be there. I for one as a patient would be very leary of the person who came to my house in pajamas I'd say "who are you?" "You don't look like a stormtrooper to me" I digress but in all seriousness, someone dressed in pajamas trying to take care of me does not give me confidence.

If you cannot afford the basics such as a pair of black pants, black shoes, a black belt and a nice shirt and identification then maybe EMS volunteering is not for you.

Professionalism, we all say it, it's our mantra here at EMT city but pajamas - just reeks of ricky rescue.

You know, as I said before, I do have to apologize a bit. Given the fact I went from Basic to Paramedic, the whole concept of EMT-Intermediate is kind of a grey area in my mind. I don't honestly know what the kids at the National Registry allow for EMT-85 or 99, or 2007, or whatever, so maybe someone can elighten me. How much training is involved for NREMT-I? When did someone think that giving Intermediates access to controlled substances was a good idea?

Not to hijack this thread or get off on too much of a rant here, but honestly, the worse disservice that programs like this do may actually be to the provider. Take your eager young EMT-I, who works in your local slow little volunteer system, doesn't get many calls. He has an honest mistake in giving and/or documenting use of one of the controlled substances. You know what could happen next? Poor eager young EMT-I gets put in cuffs and taken to jail. His life is over. The DEA does not care what your intentions were or what the extent of your training was. When it comes to Schedule II narcotics, you really had better know what you are doing when you are administering them. I guess its my cynical view of the world, but rather than seeing this as a stop gap measure to provide quasi-ALS service to areas that are under served, I see it as a really dangerous program that uses people's sometimes misguided sense of purpose and duty to save money while putting all the risk of failure onto the provider.

As an aside, jeez, Laura, you make me look like Mary Poppins.

As an aside, jeez, Laura, you make me look like Mary Poppins.

Amen. To all let me officially introduce Paramedic Laura Anne to EMTcity. As a incredible clinician, educator, and my girlfriend for some time now, she will be a good asset here.

Something like a amusing mix between Dustdevil, the old Ditchdoctor, and me.

Hopefully within the next 5yrs (ugh, cough,cough) there will be Nat'l Reg in all 50 states, or at least some sort of universal/ US mandated protocols/guidelines.

That is the only thing I have seen you say so far that I disagreed with.

Hopefully, I just misunderstood you.

Welcome aboard! I hope you stay long enough for me to steal you away from PRPG. :twisted:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.