How to improve EMS professionalism

Eydawn

Personally I'm getting tired of having to defend myself and EMT-I's.

Don't defend intermediates than. I'm a basic and I sure as hell don't support the level of education that basics are currently at.

As far as these so called "uniforms,' is it really that hard to get changed into actual clothes? Hell, I hate walking to my car when I need to move it out of an unused overhead (stupid apartment in a college town only giving each apartment 1 general use permit and 1 reserved overhead bay) in my PJs. I could never imagine showing up to work in them. Besides blood+thin clothes=not good. I had to buy a lab coat for microbio lab this year and half (key word half) thinking about wearing that because at least lab coats can be autoclaved if needbe.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, shira, here's my question. You hopped out of bed in your PJ's, dashed off in the middle of the night to the woman who ran into a tree, and did exactly what for her? Took her blood pressure? Held her hand? What was the immediate attention that this woman required that was so critical and crucial that you couldn't even put pants on? And if the MVA was that critical, how were you going to even get near the patient with all the jagged metal and broken glass in your PJ's? To answer your question, if my mother was having an MI, and people showed up in their pajamas to take care of her, yeah, I really would care, and I'm not sure if I'd let them in the damn house.

I dunno, I'd wager that a paid professional service would have showed up appropriately dressed, maybe.

No, you really don't. You don't fully comprehend EMS in all its full function. Tell me, even less so than the MVA, what are you, as an EMT-I responding in your pajamas, going to really do for the MI patient? Sure, you can wait around for them to code and then defibrillate them, but in the grand scheme of things the O2 and the line you started is not going to make a difference in the patient's outcome. When people are alone, sick, and scared, they want someone who is knowledgable and professional to show up at their door, not someone in their pajamas. And just for the record, just for all you wonderful superhero volunteers out there who do this for the sake of helping others, just a friendly reminder, I could be doing a whole HOST of other jobs right now with a lot less aggravation and a lot more pay out there, so you had better bet your next issue of Galls that the reason I do my job is to help others when they are in need. I do this job by assuring that people get the best quality prehospital care they can, and to me, someone showing up in their pajamas with the delusion that their mere presence is going to somehow make a difference is not good quality patient care. Sorry, it isn't.

-25 points for being a typical volunteer and making me repost stuff I have already said many different times in many different forums. My suggestion: Get the jump suits back.

OMG! Dude.......a little over the top, but wow. My point exactly. When I was still a volunteer EMT, before I knew better, I always took the time to throw on my jumpsuit. At least I looked somewhat presentable.

And while we are on that topic, let's not forget to mention the professionals who show up half dressed too. There have been plenty of times that I've been working with someone , as a full time paid paramedic, where they couldn't tie their shoes, polish their boots once in awhile, tuck their shirts in for God's sake, etc, etc.

I do have to agree you Asys, I wouldn't want someone in pajamas treating my family either. Even before I was a provider, I would notice things like that. If someone showed up in pajamas, my first thought would be, "wow, what a joke. Are these people serious?"

I'm sorry, but if you can't take the time to look somewhat presentable, please don't come. Even if it's me laying there, I don't want to look up and see pajamas.

No offense, but if in Ohio EMT-I's are running around playing with benzos and opiates in their pajama bottoms, I am staying the hell out of your state. Up until this point I thought that Ohio adhered to National Registry standards. Thank you for educating and scaring the crap out of me at the same time.

Asys,

I gotta tell ya.......you're a hoot!!!

I love reading your posts. How long do you actually sit on it before you reply? Piss myself laughing everytime..... :):D:D:D

And thanks, I'll stay out of Ohio too....

Don't defend intermediates than. I'm a basic and I sure as hell don't support the level of education that basics are currently at.

As far as these so called "uniforms,' is it really that hard to get changed into actual clothes? Hell, I hate walking to my car when I need to move it out of an unused overhead (stupid apartment in a college town only giving each apartment 1 general use permit and 1 reserved overhead bay) in my PJs. I could never imagine showing up to work in them. Besides blood+thin clothes=not good. I had to buy a lab coat for microbio lab this year and half (key word half) thinking about wearing that because at least lab coats can be autoclaved if needbe.

Side note:

She wasnt defending her level of certification, just the fact that it does not reflect poorly on our industry and the public perception of EMS to arrive at scenes with her drunken friends in purple plaid pajama pants and hold patients hands.

Amusing thought, if thats the case, i wonder if shed be upset if we dressed up the county sheriff in her backwoods town as santa claus, gave him a gun belt, and sent him patrolling.

"Ho, ho, hoooooo......theres a new sheriff in townnnnn"

I guesss thats different?

So what we have learned from the posts so far is .. professionalism can be viewed and increased by multiple ways.

Increasing education at all levels, we recognize that the current system is poor to say the least.

We in EMS do not police professional behavior nor do we stress and educate it much in our educational programs.

Communities attempt to provide services for EMS, but rather place the best for the citizens, many rather have individual services filled with pride and egos than to combine and pull resources together for the betterment of the patient.

Some feel it is much better to respond quickly in unsightly attire, but still wonder why many think of them as unprofessional?

Apparently, many do not still understand intoxication not only presents a poor picture, but as well is dangerous to patient care and those staff that might depend upon their actions (as well as illegal). Continuing to allow someone to do so, is just as unprofessional.

Many feel they have to defend behavior and therefore do not understand the "whole picture" of professionalism.

Professionalism is much more than one thing. The belief and sincerity one has about how they deliver care to the patient. This includes their sincerity to the profession, their attire, education level, the level and the type of care that is delivered. Each attribute develops and make up professionalism. Removing just one thing, can fragment professionalism... being from poor behavior, poor knowledge or poor care and image one portrays.

We should be reminded to keep in check with all the attributes of professionalism and attempt to maintain those at all times.

R/r 911

Funny this came up at my Volunteer station yesterday. I am in a county that is in transition. We are getting paid ALS as the funding is available. Though a volunteer I support the paid crews coming.

We were discussing how we consider ourselves Unpaid Professionals. We have running gear, and you better not be caught going on a call without it. We do not respond to calls in POV. We have training weekly, miss to many and you are gone. We have a leader who is a paramedic on one of the state patrol medevac helicopters who is always trying to keep us up to date.

I personally go out of my way to keep up to date on things. I read JEMS, attended EMSToday, ride with out ALS crew when ever possible.

On a side note about volunteers not running enough calls to keep skills up. I was looking at our call stats this weekend. December was our first full month with a paid crew in our station. Most of the paid crew members ran between 10-20 calls. I ran 30. So who is keeping their skills up.

I just had to vent a little thanks!!

Sarge

First off I WAS NOT the one that showed up to a scene and/or hospital drunk. Just in case any of you thought I was. Secondly I'm going to give that MI pt meds like ASA, nitro and morphine, like my protocol says. I can do more than just apply O2, start a line and defib. If you want to kick me off your scene for my apperance, fine. You can wait around 15 or 20 mins for another EMT to show up. Delaying pt care and transport. I don't always go on runs in my PJ's. I've done it maybe twice in the past 5 years. And when my department gets new shirts, uniforms whatever you want to call them, then I will wear them. Until then it looks like I'm going to go in my "street clothes". Yes I am your typical volunteer. I have only been with this site for about 2 weeks now and if you had posted stuff like this in the past, I wasn't around to read it. Maybe you should get all your facts straight before you start barking at other people. In the state of Ohio EMT-I's are allowed to give drugs. Such as D50, narcan, nitro, ASA, morphine, valium, albuteral, glucagon, etc. I can't do everything a medic can do for a pt., But I can do more than apply O2 and start a line. Personally I'm getting tired of having to defend myself and EMT-I's.

I think my favorite part of your unprofessional attitude is the simple fact that you don't seem to comprehend what the problem is like EVERYONE DOES ON THIS THREAD!!!!!!!!!! You're supposed to be a professional, so why aren't you just saying, 'hey, I was doing what I thought was best, but now see I was wrong and will not act that way anymore?' And as far as delaying patient care??? How am I delaying patient care? Maybe where you are running to the scene of an emergency instead of getting a crew together is the 'cool pajama party' thing to do, but where I am, we tend to BRING our ambulance, equipment, ohhhh and get dressed properly before we go on a call. It kind of goes hand in hand with the entire professional thingy.....is this ringing any bells yet, pumpkin? I am not trying to be rude, but it's a simple fact that you cannot grasp; the simple concept of professional attire and persona. Are you for real?? Seriously, were you born this stupid or did you just become this way?THIS is why I'd kick you off my scene.

Learn something from people who have been doing this in other regions and attempted to give you good advice....... stop your crying......... go back to school and get hooked on phonics and possibly a little Eng Comp 101...... oh, and stop blaming others like your organization for not clothing you properly. Please.

On a side note. I am sorry everyone for getting off topic here and having to hit below the belt. Yes, it is unprofessional of me and I know that's what this thread is about. Sometimes though, in our profession, slapping some common sense into someones face is the only way you can get through to them. We've all been there before, just most of us learn from it.. IS it the right way? Perhaps not the most subtle, but it happens.

SSG, like PRPG stated, you are the exception. You show the drive to want to better not only yourself, but your organization. THAT, in itself is worthy of a true professional. Kudos!

Pumpkin!!!!! I love it!!!!! Pajama Party!!!!! Hahahahahahaha!!!!!!

Shira - don't take it personally......

LauraAnne - you're my new favorite newcomer to the site! Not because of the catfight quality of your last post, but because of your not-so-subtle implications and expectations of professionalism within our own ranks.

Of course, catfights are fun, too!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.