EMT-B vs. Medic wage UNFAIR

Here in Vegas we make even less than that Timmy...

I do have to say, I CHOSE this city, I CHOSE this job, and I ACCEPT the pay (or lack thereof). It doesn't mean I am happy or satisfied with it, or that I don't plan on furthing my career in medicine otherwise... but this life is what we create it to be! If you don't like it, change it or move!

Fair enough

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know EMS isn't about money, but I still have a hard time understanding how a person can possibly survive on less than $12 per hour. I think there needs to be some adjustments in that system, like I said earlier, in Canada pay is usually well over $30 per hour. Here, it pays more than electricians, plumbers, carpenters... (in most cases)

It would make me sooo mad that they make the same as I did. After all the dedication I have given that company. So I think experience and dedication should be rewarded by a raise. And I agree with nremt-basic about the years of experience. I would much rather work with a basic that has been doing this for 25 years than work with a brand new medic.

Must. Bite. Tongue. :?

Anybody want to tackle that one for me?

Should we bother :?: :roll:

Everyone has different opinion and views, why fight it... It will only end in tears... And to be truthful what would the end result be, I'm better than you, you agree with me or else, I get paid more than you, I have better credentials, but they have more experience - we could argue until we go blue in the face. The fact of the matter is everyone is different; people make different celery’s making it impossible to come to the same conclusion.

I dunno, its not even much fun any more. My well is dry for witticisms. I'm gonna have to reach here. Okay, I think I got it.

Shira, if your patient is having a heart attack, do you think at least THEY would prefer you were working with these a brand new medic rather than an experienced EMT? Whatcha say?

You know, lets not confuse dedication with lack of ambition. Sure, there are the occasional EMT's who are happy where they are, good at what they do, and everything is all well and good. I'm not arguing that point. However, I will say that typically if some has been an EMT Basic for over 20 years or so you'll find they have a bit of a lack of ambition in life.

I work for a private EMS (ALS only) company. We employ about 25 Basics and 40 Medics. We are in the midst of a war right now, because it has come to light that there are about 9 Basics that are making a significant amount more per hour than some medics. I am angry because I make $12.22/hr as a critical care paramedic and a guy who hired on the EXACT same day as I did 8 years ago is making $11.07 as Basic EMT. He had 18 years .

I know the money situation has been covered but if you really want more money then there are other places. In Fairfax County, Virginia they have firefighter/medics that have been here 10 years making over 90k. Plus they work 24hr shifts so basically they have so much free time that they end up with an additional job making even more money...of course most people don't get into the profession for the money but if its really an issue then I say jump ship. Many departments in California are making big bucks too...I know cost of living is high but....

With LCEMS, EMT's reguardless of years of experience max out at $50,712 / yr base. Not including OT. When they do max out, their 3 year raise every time we renegoitate our union contract they only get a 3% + a 3 %COLA raise. Every year there during the contract is a 2% COLA. The trick is that they never make more then a brand new paramedic. The Minimums and Maximums are always adjusted every contract negotiation year so they can achieve this.

LCEMS Medics start at $48,517 / yr and max out at $67, 432 / yr, reguardless of years Exp. Not including OT. When they do max out, their 3 year raise every time we renegoitate our union contract they get a 3% + a 3 %COLA raise. Every year there after during the contract is a 2% COLA.

Now figures with OT built in:

EMT starting : $44, 456 / yr with OT and maximum with OT: $62, 484 / yr

Medics starting : $ 52, 642 / yr with OT and maximum with OT: $72, 342 / yr

We work 24 hr shifts, anything over 80 hrs worked bi-weekly is paid in OT, so ontop of regular pay at 80 hrs, we are also paid for 20-30 hrs of OT built in to our work week. We have 2 big checks and 1 small check.

Thought about it, but lets face it, if shira cannot see whats so blatantly wrong with her statement then whats the point? :?

Maybe vs-eh? will do it for us :|

-EDIT-

Actually i will

Shira, you can qualitate and quantify formal education, training and responsibility. Each will be different for EMT and Medic. You can only quantify personal experience, not qualitate it.

All this equals the medic being worth more money

But im guessing there will be little use debating this, the people on these forums whose extensive education and experience will be termed as basic bashers and instead of having an educated opinion on the matter, they will be palmed off as another gripe from the resident paragods :?

Asysin2leads Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:11 am: However, I will say that typically if some has been an EMT Basic for over 20 years or so you'll find they have a bit of a lack of ambition in life.

First off I know you did say typically, so you didn't necessarily make a blanket statement about lack off ambition. But we need to be careful not to make assumptions on someones happiness vs. "lack of ambition".

Just because You and I would like to and do move on up the ladder, does not mean it is for everyone. And does not mean that they are even thinking that they are less of a person or Professional for not doing so. They may be very ambitious when it comes to their own Latest CEU's.

You know sometimes life just gets in the way of moving up also. For instance i would have loved to have gone to Medical School but life got in the way i'm 32 yrs old now i have a 12 year old son and i have way more important things in my life now to think about. Med school may never come for me and you now what im ok with that --but i don't have lack of ambition i just chose a different course for my life. Maybe thats what happened for some of these 20 year veterans. They adjusted and moved on.

I know thats like comparing your hairy boys to say, King Kongs, but shite happens.

Edit: Has anyone ever workied at a place were it was agaisnt the rules to talk about what you get paid? And if you did and they found out you were fired? This is put in place to cut back on all this. Obviously it doesnt really work. but just wondering?

I do agree with that Medics should be the higher paid how this can be worked out is another matter I also think that your 20 year experienced vet should be compsensated fairly also. Thats why im not management. :| .

There was someone on here i thought had a good idea though i cant recall who it was i will edit again.

nevermind there really wasn't 8)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.